Chapter 12

Chapter 12

*Jane's P.O.V* {back to previous time, Sunday afternoon}

I walked down the stairs carefully, like I had broken limbs, but extremely careful not to irritate my delicate skin and accidentally make a wrong move to trigger pain.

Yes, it was this bad. And no, I'm not a hypocrite. But that's what happens when you're forced to do acts that you don't solemnly agree upon.

"Good morning dear." My mum greeted me once I reached the bottom of the staircase, kissing my cheek lightly. "Join us for breakfast, come."

I didn't miss a beat as I heard her say us. That could only mean one thing.

God dammit, this is so embarrassing.

"Actually," I grabbed my mums arm to catch her before she walked into the kitchen, "I'm not hungry, I ate a big dinner last night." I lied, clenching my bottom lip between my teeth nervously.

"Pete said you went to bed early." She said, looking at me with confused eyes. I stared back at her with the same look, wondering why the hell he would make up a bullshit lie. Oh, that's right, because he's a fucking moron.

"Yeah.." I trailed off, going along with it to save my mom the suspicion. "I ate too much and my stomach hurt so I went to bed early, wasn't feeling well." I lied again, scratching my shoulder awkwardly. I guess you could say I sucked at lying, however, my mom can be so gullible at times.

"Oh sweetie, here lets take you upstairs and get you some medicine t-"

"No, I feel fine now. I'm just not real hungry." I stopped her from dragging me back up the stairs. I didn't want her to find out that there was in fact nothing the matter with me except that I'm crazy.

"Are you sure?" She gave me those worried blue eyes, looking at me up and down.

I nodded, unable to say anything else when another figure shadowed my moms. A much taller figure.

"What's wrong with her?" He asked curiously, peering over my moms shoulder. As soon as I saw his tight smirk he wore, my stomach tightened and it felt like I had been kicked in the ovaries.

"She wasn't feeling well last night." My mom answered him, but never taking her questioning gaze off of me.

"B-but I'm fine now." I tried finishing her conclusion, finding it difficult to speak correctly.

"Oh." He grinned, bringing his hand to rest on his chin. "Your friend called last night, but you were already sleeping and I didn't want to wake you up." He chuckled, smiling at me when my mom glanced up at him.

"Who was it?" I sneered, giving him the most distasteful look I could muster under the little strength I held.

He shrugged, putting an arm on my moms shoulder. "A boy, didn't mention his name."

"Oh! That reminds me, Jane, your phone is sitting on the kitchen counter. You can have it back now that you seem to be associating with me." She narrowed her eyes disapprovingly, reminding me of the awful events of last night. Not only with her, but with two other people I'm not the fondest of.

"I'm sorry about that.." I whispered, dropping my head down to stare at my hands that rested at my sides.

I wanted to yell at her and tell her that it wasn't my fault. That I'm just a fuck up who wasn't meant to have a place in this wicked world. That her sick boyfriend is a rapist. I wanted to scream at her and tell her to open her eyes and quit making me suffer.

But I couldn't.

And I wouldn't.

I know deep down inside that my mom is oblivious to this whole manner. That I'm the only one able to fix it. But why would God put this kind of situation in my hands? I'm too weak to manage this kind of stress. Hence the scars and fresh cuts scattered across my wrists.