T H R E E

J A C O B

Emma, Luna, and I dragged Ms.Rose into the living room and placed her on the couch.

I grabbed Emma's arm. "What the hell Emma? Don't get me wrong, I hate the woman, but not enough to burn her! Emma, you just met her! I mean-"

"Jacob!" Emma said, "You think I meant to?" From the look on her face, I knew she was trying not to look hurt. I glanced over at Luna. She was looking at some of the photos on the mantel. She looked completely at ease. She was completely ignoring the fierce whispering going on between Emma and I. My gaze turned to Ms. Rose, who was still passed out. I looked back at Emma. "No of course not, but it looks bad. What are we supposed to do about this?"

Multiple thoughts rushed into my head. What are we going to tell Miss Peregrine about Ms. Rose? What will Miss peregrine do to Emma? What about the new blonde in our house?

"I don't-" Emma started, but Luna cut her off.

"Who is Miss Peregrine?" She asked casually as if she was talking about the weather.

"How do you know who that is?" I asked, immediately going tense. So did Emma from behind me. After all the hell I had been through in the last couple of months, I always jumped to the worst case scenario.

She gave me a puzzled look, "You just thought about it." She looked over at Emma. "You don't like me either." She said, a note of hurt in her voice.

Emma and I looked at each other slowly and reached one conclusion. She's insane.

"No, I'm not, just let me explain."

"What?" I asked, starting to get freaked out.

"You think I am insane."

"Because you know what I am thinking!" I exclaimed.

"I know it's crazy..."

I glanced at Emma and saw that she was looking at Luna as if she was the single most screwy person in the world. "Um yeah..." Said Emma, taking a step towards me.

"I can explain..."

Emma and I nodded at the same time. Then it hit me. "Emma," I whispered. "She's peculiar."

"I'm what?" Luna asked.

I ignored her and turned to Emma, "We need to take her to Miss Peregrine."

"We can't," Emma said seriously.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because," Emma said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, "what will we tell her? 'Hey Miss Peregrine, just wanted to let you know that we just found a new peculiar. We nearly burned her mother's face off. Oh but don't get worried Miss P, she's not the least bit worried about it.'" I looked at Luna. She was staring at us, wide-eyed.

"I have grown up with her my whole life, how could I have not noticed?" I asked Emma quietly.

"Maybe because you hadn't noticed your peculiarity yourself." She responded, giving me a small smile.

Luna looked up from her phone. "It says here that Peculiar means 'strange, odd, or unusual.'" She scowled at us. "Well that's rather rude."

Emma looked at me nervously. "No, not the type we're talking about. Peculiar means-" Emma was interrupted by a loud gasp. We all three looked at the doorway and saw Horace.

"What in the name of birds are you two doing?" Horace looked at Luna. "Who is she?"

"Look, Horace, we can explain-" I started.