T H I R T Y - F O U R

E M M A

"All these damned glossy eyed idiots determined to make each other the happiest people in the world, it's sickening. Truly sickening. Not to mention annoying. Definitely more annoying." Enoch muttered, beating his head up against the doorframe softly.

"What is it, Enoch?" I asked, edging my way around him as I made my way into the hall.

"You know what," He muttered, lifting his head and giving me a look.

"Oh, you mean..." I lowered my voice for dramatic effect, "her? This is about Annie isn't it?"

"Shut it, Emma. That's not it...exactly." He said, moving past me.

"But it's what you feel that matters," I said in a singsong voice, following him as he moved down the hallway, happy to aggravate him.

"How poetic of you." He scoffed. "I don't need your help, Emma. I can deal with my own issues. I don't need you following me around trying to give me advice. I don't want to hear it."

"I can tell it's bothering you," I told him. "And if you would just quit being so thick-skulled and listen to me you would feel better."

I was surprised when he actually stopped walking away, let out an exasperated sigh, and faced me, meeting my eyes. "What? What's your special little solution?"

"Listen, Enoch, because this is the only time I'm going to say this." I paused. "You need to take a chance."

"That's your great advice? Take a chance? Really?" He rolled his eyes. "Take a chance and what? Jump of the top of this building? Make a bet?"

"No with her, smartass," I remarked, crossing my arms. "You show her how you feel. If she doesn't feel the same, good for you, you're going to America tomorrow. If she feels the exact same way you do, well, we've got the room for one more."

He narrowed his eyes at me and for a second I thought he was going to say something about how that was totally worthless and a waste of his time, but instead, he nodded.

"Really?" I was shocked. "You're taking my advice?"

He waved me off, "Absolutely not, but it's a good try though. It'll never work."

"Wait, what? Are you kidding me?" I asked, shocked.

"I'm not doing it because neither of us needs it. Not me and certainly not her." He scratched the back of his neck- a nervous habit he would never admit to. "I don't need you mediating my life- especially romantically. I can handle this on my own."

"Oh yeah?" I responded. "You mean by not doing anything? You know, I'll talk to her myself. It's for your own good."

"Emma," Enoch said sharply, grabbing my shoulder. "Look at me," I met his eyes. They were intense and slightly intimidating. "If you say a word, I will kill you." There was a serious note in his voice that I had a feeling I shouldn't test.

"Fine then," I snapped, jerking my arm away. "Ruin this. Do it. But you're going to regret it and hate yourself for the rest of your life, which at this rate isn't ending anytime soon."

He looked at me coldly for a long moment, "Just leave me alone. I don't need a guilt trip."

He started to walk away.

"Enoch, are you even listening to me?" I said, going after him. "I've been through the same thing with Abe. It's going to tear you apart. You'll be miserable. She'll be all you can think about."

"Abe didn't know what he was doing," Enoch said, continuing to walk from me.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I snapped, catching up with him.