T W E N T Y - S I X

M I L L A R D

"It's been exceptionally quiet around here." I told Luna as I sat down beside her. I narrowed my eyes, looking out at the nearly deserted dining hall. "Too quiet."

She was staring down at the bowl of bean soup in front of her, a look of disgust on her face. "Maybe they're avoiding us." She muttered, pushing the bowl away. "This stuff is nasty." She muttered.

"That's your fault for eating bean soup for breakfast." I pointed out.

"Have any of you seen Enoch?" Questioned Claire, walking up to where we were sitting, a mouse clutched in her hand- which was unusual, since Claire has had this ridiculous fear of mice since the day I'd met her.

"No," I responded slowly, eyeing the dead mouse, "We've been wondering the same thing ourselves."

To tell the truth, I had not seen him since that morning, when everyone was walking up, but I didn't think to much of it- he never really sleeps anyways.

Claire reached down and took some of the fruit off my plate.

"I was going to eat that." I said, shooting her a glare as she popped a blueberry in her mouth.

"Oh I know." She said, even going as far as lifting up her hair and eating the rest of my fruit with her back-mouth.

"Your despicable." I muttered, shaking my head as she smirked and walked off, bumping into a disheveled looking Horace on her way out.

"Morning, Horace." I heard her greet happily, as she moved past him.

He didn't seemed to have heard her, by the look in his face. In fact, his wide-eyed expression suggested that he had seen a ghost.

"Well, it sure is weird to see you not glued to Wendell's side, I'm sure he's enjoying a little break." I said, attempting to lighten his mood.

Horace ignored me, he just kept looking nervously around the dining hall.

"What is it?" Asked Luna, cutting to the chase, her face going pale: she could obviously tell something was wrong.

"I had a terrible dream last night." Said Horace, sitting down and hastily grabbing Luna's untouched soup and began eating.

"Well," I said impatiently, "What happened?"

Horace swallowed, "It's Jacob. I had a dream that he-"

He was cut off.

"Madness, Wendell, absolute madness! I will hear no more of it!" Miss Peregrine said as she entered the dining hall with Wendell.

"Alma! They're not here! Denial isn't-"

"Denial? Mr.Portman is perfectly fine and so are Miss Bloom and Mr.O'Connor!" Said Miss Peregrine, reaching our table.

"Wait a moment!" Interrupted Luna, "What are you two talking about?"

"No one to be seen!" Exclaimed Wendell. "No-"

"The 'absence' of Mr.O'Connor, Miss Emma, and Mr.Portman have driven Wendell here into a state of panic." She shot him a glare. "When in fact they are just fine, most likely taking some extra time to rest."

"Alma, this is completely rash. I mean, my birds, they're your wards!"

Miss Peregrine ignored him and looked at me, "Have you seen any of the three? I'm sure they are are around here somewhere."

"No, actually I haven't seen any of them since yesterday evening..." I replied quietly, realizing the dire the situation really was.

Miss Peregrine's face paled and she swallowed hard, "Well, then...perhaps we should alert Alvina of the situation..." She said, referring to Miss Gannet.