N I N E

M I S S  P E R E G R I N E

"Those four..." Alma LeFay Peregrine whispered furiously as she paced up and down the floor of Miss Thrush and Miss Nightjar's study. She had immediately wished to journey to the two ymbryne's loop. They were the most experienced ymbrynes that Miss Peregrine had ever met; well, besides Miss Avocet. Miss Peregrine had sent one of her wards, Charlotte, to them when she escaped her loop in Cairnholm and aged forward severely. As she told her own wards before, Miss Thrush and Miss Nightjar had always taken on the hard cases.

Miss Nightjar cleared her throat politely to indicate Miss Peregrine to stop her constant muttering about her missing wards. "Alma, I know you are worried, but you must take into account that there are wights on the loose. Your wards are not the only peculiars in danger."

Miss Peregrine turned to face Miss Nightjar, "Edmonda, I've no idea where four of mine are! The only thing left me was a blasted note on the back of Mr.Portman's school schedule that they were going to Balenciaga Wren's loop! Not to mention that the note made no sense." Miss Peregrine got considerably louder as she continued.

Miss Thrush looked unconformable, "Quiet, Alma, the other children might overhear."

Miss Peregrine narrowed her eyes, "Why should that matter?"

Miss Thrush looked more uncomfortable than before, so she decided to change the subject. "Alma, What are you wearing?"

"If you are indicating my attire, Evangeline, I have changed it in order to be assimilated into the culture of modern times." Said Miss Peregrine plainly.

"Alma, there is nothing we can do besides give you and your wards a place to stay while you are, for lack of a better word, on the run." Said Miss Nightjar, her words making Miss Peregrine scoff.

Miss Thrush, slightly irked by Alma's negative outlook on things, decided it was best to be respectful. "Alma, we completely understand your stress..."

Miss Peregrine looked angry, "Of course you do..." She whispered harshly, but not because she didn't want her wards or Miss Thrush and Miss Nightjar's wards to overhear, it was because she was trying to conceal her vexation. "Of course you two have lost four wards while there are God knows how many wights on the loose! You know exactly how it feels, don't you?"

"Well, Alma, I think it is best you calm down..." Said Miss Thrush tentatively.

"Calm down? Find me when you have four wards missing!" Exclaimed Miss Peregrine, her voice rising.

There was an uncomfortable silence in which Miss Nightjar and Miss Thrush stared at Alma, lips pursed in disapproval. Finally, Alma became aware of how she was unrightfully lashing out of two of her fellow ymbynes. Miss Peregrine took a deep breath, calming herself down. "My apologies, but it is simply imperative that I find Mr.Portman, Miss Bloo-"

"Wait," Said Miss Thrush, interrupting Miss Peregrine, "You mean Jacob Portman? The one who can see the hollowgast... and control them too?"

Miss Peregrine felt a twinge of pride, "That would be him."

"Really?" Said Miss Thrush, her eyes widening in surprise. "I would have expected someone of his talent to be one of Miss Avocet's wards... needless to say, someone more... experienced."

Miss Peregrine's eyes widened in disbelief, "Evangeline, are you questioning my abilities and as a ymbryne?"

"Of course she isn't, Alma." Replied Miss Nightjar, shooting Miss Thrush a look. "She was merely stating that usually the more talented peculiars go to more talented peculiar homes."

Miss Peregrine's sharply lined face morphed into something like a glare, "That is implying the same thing, is it not, Edmonda? I'm not a fool."

"And we don't take you for one, Alma. Any ymbryne would be proud to have the group of wards you have, loyal as they are. There is no mistaking you and your wards went through the most during this, I dare to say, peculiar war." Said Miss Nightjar.