S E V E N T E E N

L U N A

I sat alone at a table in the dining hall. It was relatively late, so I really can't complain about being alone. The room was dark aside from the moonlight that came through the windows and painted the room with an unsettling, almost creepy pale glow.

I had wondered out of the room to be alone with my thoughts. Even though I am the only one that can read minds, I still prefer to do my thinking alone and in quiet.

My mind wondered to my mother. I had never particularly liked her- most people didn't.

Did she miss me? Does she care that I'm gone? Is she aware of the danger I am in?

It wasn't like she understood what it was like being peculiar. It is almost like she resents me because of what I can do. Well, at least ever since my father left her.

I shook my head, refusing to allow myself to think about it further. My blood ran cold thinking about how my mother blamed me for what happened.

I remember after that day I made a point- a promise to myself- that I would never use my ability again. I guess that protected me from the wights or whatever they are, since, according to Jacob, Hollows could sense you using your ability and track you down. Long story short, I made a habit of being clueless. I decided that the best way of covering up my ability was to act, well, extremely dimwitted. I bottled it up and, for a while, it worked.

Well at least until this summer when I met the other peculiars. That was when I realized that my ability to read minds was a gift, not a curse, and it certainly made things much easier.

I remember that day clearly. It was just like any other day.

I was going to spend the day with some friends. I decided it was best to avoid my mother. Maybe if I was quiet enough, she might not notice I ever left.

I paused when I heard my mothers voice, complaining, as usual. I quietly walked out of my room and down the stairs as I listened.

"That Portman child has been in Europe all summer and has finally returned." She told someone over the phone. "That ungrateful..." She muttered something I couldn't hear into the phone. "I am certain he has stolen my cat." There was a pause. "Yes, and I plan on going over to that young man's house and showing him that he has no right to steal anything of mine." Another pause. "Alright, whatever. Bye." There was a click as she put the phone back in the holder.

Right as I was about to reach the door safely without my mother noticing, she turned around and saw me standing there. "Well, well, well. If it isn't my little... mindreader. Aren't you busy losing your mind?"

"I'm leaving," I told her, ignoring her rude comment.

"Leaving?" My mother repeated, crossing her arms.

'I'm going somewhere with some friends." I said quietly, looking at the floor.

"What's wrong with you?" She snapped, walking toward me. I could tell she wanted to tell me much more because my mind once again painfully filled with her annoying thoughts. It stopped as she realized what I was doing.

"Quit doing that!" She yelled, quickly advancing on me and standing with her face inches from mine. "Whatever twisted brain problem you have, it's caused way too many problems." The smell of her perfume made me lightheaded. "If you don't stop I'll..." She trailed off.

A bit of courage found its way into me, "You'll what?"

"I'll block you out like your father did." My mother said in a harsh whisper. "You'll be all alone. You will find that no one else wants you, and you will stop this crazy act of yours."