Chapter 20

About four hours later, I decided to return to Remy and Logan.

It was dark out and I knew both of them would be worried.

Nobody was in the living room, but I heard someone talking in the kitchen.

"She's changed, Mrs. Carlisle." Remy said.

"She's grown so much since I last saw her." Mom whispered. "She was only thirteen, and now she's twenty six." There was a while of silence before she spoke again. "What were those scars on her, Remy?"

"She was mauled by a mutant about four years ago." He replied. "Almost killed her."

"You're just gonna listen to them?" Logan asked from behind me. I turned to see him walking into the house.

"Where did you go?" I ignored his rhetorical question, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I.... I kinda followed you around." Logan said nervously. "Didn't want anything to happen to you."

I nodded, keeping my eyes on his.

"I want to leave, Logan." I whispered.

"Okay. I'll tell LeBeau." Logan nodded and started to walk past me to get to the kitchen but I stopped him.

"Just.... Please give me a hug, Logan." I spoke quietly. "And maybe a kiss."

Logan chuckled and put his arms around my waist, leaning down to kiss my lips.

"Course you all are makin out." Remy said from behind me.

Logan ended the kiss and looked to Remy, while I looked at his chest. I didn't want to face him right now.

"Embry. Look at me, amoureux."

My eyes went up to meet Logan's. He nodded to Remy.

I turned around and faced him.

"Come on." He took my hand and led me out the front door. We stood on the front porch, I leaned against the railing while Remy faced me. "I didn't mean to yell at you, Embry."

"It's okay. You didn't have to stand up for me. I lived with dad for thirteen years. I know how he is."

"I wasn't gonna let him talk bout you the way he was." Remy leaned against the railing of the porch beside me. "M'not that kinda man."

"I'm sorry for yelling at you." I wrapped my arms around him.

"It's okay, amor."

"I don't want to stay here much longer, Remy."

"Okay. We can leave right now if you want."

I nodded.

Mom appeared in the doorway of the front door a few minutes later.

"Embry-Lynn. Please come in and talk to me." She whispered.

I nodded but nervously looked back to Remy.

"I'll stay with you, amor." He kissed my temple as he took my hand and led me back into the house.

We followed mom back to the kitchen, where Logan settled on the other side of Remy at the table.

"Oh my God." Mom whispered as her eyes found the scars on my arm. She could see them better now that I was in the light. Her hand shakily reached out to touch one of the long, jagged scars. "So what Remy told me was true?"

"Yeah." I nodded, eyes staying on my hands with shame. "They're ugly."

"They show you're a fighter." Logan said, making me lift my eyes to meet his. He gave me a gentle smile.