Chapter 23- The Collision

About ten minutes later, Hermione and Peter made their way to The Three Broomsticks, where the other three were waiting.

As soon as the door closed behind them, they were enveloped in a warm rush of air that had their cold cheeks and hands tingling.

Peter spotted their friends in no time, and they walked over to join them.

Hermione couldn't help herself, and her eyes devoured the view that was so familiar from her time. The ceiling was low, a dark wood that flickered in the firelight of the many hearths that were placed around the pub, which was the busiest she had ever seen it. There were people everywhere, crammed around tables, stood in the corners. It seemed everyone had retired here to escape the cold.

"Pete!" James exclaimed, and a sliver of relief flashed across his face. He shot up straight. "Mione!"

Sirius stood up, and he reached for her when she got close enough, his warm hand encircling her waist. Hermione took his hand, and he pulled her gently into the booth to sit beside him.

"I don't think bringing me here is a very good idea," Remus muttered to James. His eyes had snagged on Hermione, and he felt an internal swirling of something (though what, he had no idea).

James' eyes fixated on him. "What do you mean?"

He let his head fall back, closing his eyes and feeling the wash of people overwhelm him. His ears were assaulted with so much noise that he nearly winced, and snippets of conversations were brought to his attention, but Remus had experienced this for years; he'd learnt to tune it out.

"People," he murmured. Though 'person' would be a more specific word to use. Her heartbeat thrummed, and he could hear it in the air.

James swallowed. His eyes flicked to the table, and landed on the small paper bag in front of Peter. A small frown graced his face, and he leaned across the table, reaching for it.

He peered into the top, almost secretively, like he thought it was something that he shouldn't be seeing, but his skill and speed allowed him to steal it. Interest pulled his lips down.

"What the hell are those?" James asked, scrunching his nose up.

Peter snatched the bag back. "Debilitators."

Sirius, who had previously had his head tilted close to Hermione's, turned to look at his friend expectantly. "A what now?" He asked with mildness.

Pete sighed and repeated, "Debilitators!"

James and Sirius exchanged a look. Then they both shrugged, not finding the energy to bother asking what on earth it was Peter had bought this time. They were used to his random collection of thingamabobs that offered no specific use, it was just so Peter, that they gave up now- there was really no point wondering.

Remus sucked in a sharp breath, and he almost cringed when he felt four pairs of eyes shoot to him. James got to his feet abruptly, sending a dazzling smile in their general direction. He picked up his coat and scarf and said, "I'll be right back!"

Sirius raised his eyebrows after him and called pleasantly, "Cheerio!"

Despite this aloofness, his eyes followed James all the way out of The Three Broomsticks. Then, he turned to Hermione.

His face was incredibly close to hers, and she could feel every fan of breath across her cheeks, count all of his faint freckles. His arm was still behind her, where he had put it as soon as she sat down.

"How are you, darling?"

Hermione swallowed at his low, slightly husky voice and said, "I'm cold."