Chapter 52- The Order of The Phoenix

Later that night, when Remus returned to his dormitory, he felt an undeniable static all the way through his body. It was like every part of him had been electrocuted but his veins were conducting the current, and he thrived off it.

Someone had pulled all the curtains shut, but only Peter was actually in bed, reading that Muggle book he always went on about, about knights and dragons and epic battles.

Sometimes Remus couldn't help but wish his life was that mind-blowing and exciting, but then he remembered he was a teenage werewolf with three best friends who could change into animals at will. He supposed that was cool enough.

"Moony!" James appeared from the bathroom, dressed in his pyjamas, blinking rapidly as he fumbled around. He found the doorway and leaned against it. "You haven't, by any chance, seen my glasses, have you?"

Remus, although distracted, looked at him in incredulity and said, "How did you lose your glasses? They were on your face!"

"Ah, yes... That's a very good point. Funny story actually-"

"Are you telling the story again?!" Sirius' loud and exasperated voice echoed from the bathroom. He appeared a moment later, toothbrush in hand. Looking at Remus and gesturing with said toothbrush, he said, "James has been bringing it up at every possible opportunity he gets to tell people that he lost his glasses kissing Lily Evans."

"That's my girlfriend," James added, grinning and blushing profusely.

"I see," Remus replied, walking over to his terribly messy corner to salvage his pjs.

Peter popped his head over the top of his book, eyes squinting in suspicion. "What's wrong? You seem distracted. Normally, you would've made some sarcastic remark at James' expense that we either laughed at or didn't understand."

"Yeah," James said, eyes flicking to Pete and back. Even though he couldn't see, he looked concerned. "Everything okay, Moony?"

Remus swallowed. He didn't really know how to say it but he didn't look at Sirius as he did. The stars twinkled behind his eyelids.

"I think," he said, wincing. "I think I just asked Hermione out."

The response was so silent you could hear a pin drop. They all stared at him, seemingly shocked into speechlessness. Remus wasn't sure whether this was a good thing or a bad thing.

He said awkwardly, "Please. Someone say something..."

James' eyes widened theatrically and he exclaimed, "Under the settee!"

"Erm," Remus didn't quite know how to react to this. He said, "Preferably something that will make me feel less guilty and like I haven't just destroyed our friendship or her life."

James shook his head. "My glasses are under the settee." He pointed a finger at Remus, edging closer to the door. "When I am back, fully not-blind, I am going to tell you all of those things."

The door slammed shut behind him. Sirius' eyes were dark and steady and he didn't say anything, just turned on his heel and walked back into the bathroom. Remus scrambled after him, throwing himself into the doorframe, which he clung to.

"Sirius," he said raggedly. "I'm sorry. I know I should've told you or asked you or not done it at all-"

"No," Sirius said. "You did the right thing."

That was not what Remus had been expecting. And it didn't make him feel any better.

"But I'm a shitty friend!" He said miserably. "You liked her..."