Chapter 34- The Quidditch Match

Hermione's eyelids fluttered. The soft streams of sunlight escaped through the cracks in the curtain above her bed. She stirred, rolling onto her side to burrow her face further into her pillow, as if it would protect her from the clutches of consciousness. It didn't.

She huffed, sitting up blearily and rubbed at her eyes. "What time is it?"

No one answered her.

Frowning, Hermione looked around. The dormitory was empty. "Lily?" She called, craning her neck to see if there was anyone in the bathroom. "Mary? Marls?"

There was no reply. She glanced at the clock on Mary's bedside table and her eyes widened.

"Fuck!" She swore, then clapped a hand over her mouth. It didn't matter, however, as no one else was in the room to hear her. They were all down at the match. Coincidentally, where she should be.

Hermione flung back the covers, jumping out of bed and she knelt down to rummage through her chest. There were no clothes in there apart from her school uniform. Ever since she'd arrived, she had been simply wearing her white blouse, with times when she'd occasionally borrowed Lily's old clothes that were either too small for her, or she didn't like anymore and didn't mind Hermione borrowing.

She had no idea what she was going to wear. Her eyes found Lily's chest at the foot of her bed, and she chewed her lip. No. Hermione shook her head. She couldn't wear anymore of her clothes.

Then what could she wear?

Hermione stood up quickly and darted out of the room and up into the boy's dormitory. She could tell which one was Remus' from the messiness of his duvet and the multiple piles of clothes around the bed. She spotted what she was looking for, splayed out on the floor, and reached down for it, holding it to her chest. The jumper was brown and worn-out and Hermione inhaled it. It smelt of him, of cheap aftershave and chocolate, and something else. Something muskier and smokier. Sirius.

It was the jumper he had given her to her to wear on her second night in the past. She hoped he wouldn't mind. He'd already given her permission to wear it once... She just hoped that hadn't yet expired.

She took it back to her room, changing into her school skirt, thick tights and brogues and tucking Remus' jumper in. Hermione glanced in the mirror, and swallowed. Her hair was all over the place and she tried to pat it down on the top, but in the end, just sighed. Tearing her eyes away from her reflection, she grabbed her Gryffindor scarf and ran out of the Common Room and all the way down to the pitch.

Outside, it was quiet and cold and there was a hum of distant exhilaration in the air. Hermione paused, suddenly getting an idea, and she swooped down to pick something up off the ground, before continuing. Luckily, everyone seemed to already be at the match and she made it there within no time, slipping through the Gryffindor bleachers, whilst trying to catch her breath.

"Hermione!"

Spinning around, she caught sight of Lily and pushed past a few people to get to the redhead, who was stood on the very front row.

"I haven't missed anything, have I?" Hermione peered over and saw that the players weren't even on the pitch yet. She let out a long breath of relieved air that she hadn't realised she had been holding in.

"No, they haven't started. I tried to wake you up, but you were dead to the world!" Lily cried, an apologetic expression marring her pretty face. "I figured an extra half hour of sleep wouldn't hurt anyone... I guess you overslept on your oversleep too..."