Chapter 73- The Comet's Explosion

AN: So I know a lot of you are angry with the events of the last chapter and some of you don't think Regulus' death was completely justified. There were suggestions that Kreacher could've apparated them all out of the cave, but I wondered whether that was even possible for it seems odd that Regulus didn't do that the first time round. That got me thinking: despite House Elf magic far surpassing regular magic, maybe it is compromised if the House Elf is weak? Kreacher was very weak in his powers in this chapter because of his fear of the place and the aftereffects of the potion (remember Dumbledore?) so even if he had tried to apparate them both out of there, I highly doubt it would have worked.

The last chapter was so heartbreaking to write that I considered changing THE ENTIRE PLOT just so Regulus could live.

But overall, I did intend for Regulus to die.

Chapter 73- The Comet's Explosion

February 1980

Everything was fractured after that.

Hermione made it to the other side, only vaguely aware of Kreacher bawling by her legs. The darkness of the rock was deceptive, and she had to hold her hands out, feeling her way through the shadows, in order to find the door. She looked back only once.

The lake was shimmering green, the boat lay dormant, the island in the middle of the water was empty. Everything was silent. It was as though Regulus had never existed at all.

Did you? If you didn't even have a body to prove it; did you truly live? If a tree falls in the forest, but no one is there to hear it; does it still make a sound?

She pushed herself out of the cavern, tripping over stray stones, glancing back when she could no longer hear Kreacher's howls. Hermione swallowed and the inside of her throat screamed in protest.

"Kreacher!" She tried to shout, but it came out as a strangled whisper. "Kreacher! We need to go!"

The House Elf raised his large and doleful eyes to her and they seemed to clear as he took in her grief-stricken face and the tear tracks cutting through the dirt on her cheeks. He raised himself up to his full height and inhaled a shuddering breath, before he said, "Master Regulus' orders."

He started walking away from her and Hermione watched him in bewilderment. She managed to utter, "What?"

Kreacher turned around and stared at her for a moment before he said, "'Keep Hermione safe, Kreacher.' Kreacher must obey Master Regulus' orders. Come, Miss. Let Kreacher keep Miss safe for Master Regulus."

Hermione felt something lodge in her throat, something thick and bitter-tasting, and she screwed her eyes shut to clear them of tears. She followed the House Elf back through the cave, stepping lightly because she feared the rocks would pop her like a balloon if she didn't. Just ahead of her, Kreacher stopped at the opening, his wide eyes finding something. Hermione frowned, but the world was blurry and she had no idea what he was looking at. He switched his glance to her, running over and touching her knee.

"Miss is safe now," he murmured to her. Hermione felt delirious- everything was spinning. She tried to stay stood, but Kreacher was coaxing her down onto the floor.

"Kreacher, wha-?"

"Shh." Her eyes travelled past him and she felt her stomach clench in fear when she saw a shadow getting closer. Oh God. Oh no. "Miss is safe now. Master Regulus would be happy."

She tried to scramble away as the figure loomed closer, but her hands found the edges of rocks and became slippery with hot blood and the wetness of the cave. Hermione kicked her legs out, trying to scream but all that came out was a broken mewl. The person pressed the tip of their wand to her head-