Chapter 36- The Questions

Hermione walked quickly. It wasn't late yet, but outside, the sky was growing dark and the castle halls were empty. She'd already missed the beginning of the party, she didn't want to prolong her absence any longer.

There was a jolt in her chest when she thought of Sirius. Why had he been annoyed? Why had he seemingly been annoyed at her? Hermione chewed her lip as she walked, still hugging Remus' coat around her. She couldn't think of anything she'd done wrong. Huffing, she realised he was just like Ron; all explosions and passion, without telling anyone why he was about to blow up.

She was so absorbed in her worries that she didn't notice the figure coming towards her until she was barrelling into him. Hermione almost fell backwards, had the hands not reached out and grabbed her.

Steadying herself, she looked up and saw the person she had walked into. "Regulus," she exclaimed.

Regulus didn't seem pleased to see her. On the contrary, he appeared rather embarrassed, and his eyes adamantly avoided her. His hands fell to his side.

He swallowed.

"Our last conversation was cut a little short, wasn't it?" She said dryly, remembering his outburst.

Regulus still didn't look at her. Hermione was staring at the floor, playing with the hem of her sleeves. Then, she remembered the cloak hidden in her chest back at the dormitory.

"I still have your cloak," she said. He forced himself to keep his eyes away from her.

He muttered, "Keep it."

She let out a sound of indignation and her eyebrows furrowed together. Hermione said crossly, "Don't be absurd!"

"I have plenty more. And if I happen to lend those to freezing females, then my family will be more than accommodating in supplying me with new ones," Regulus said in a fast and low voice.

Rolling her eyes, she said, "You're just determined to be difficult. I'll give you it back."

He nodded silently. As Hermione stared at him, she traced every curvature and shadow of his dark face. Like his brother, he had long eyelashes, and grey eyes, although his were much lighter than Sirius'. His face was thin and sculptured and his hair fell to his chin. He looked so much like Sirius that it hurt her chest.

And then she realised the origin for the contempt on his young face and the cautiousness in his eyes when he regarded her. Harry had told her about Sirius' childhood, how despite his rebellion, he was still his parents' favourite. In school, Sirius was the one that accumulated buzz, who attracted everyone. He was the star of the Quidditch pitch, with the highest grades and the most admirers. After everything Regulus had done to secure his life, he had always been in the shadows. They were both angels, and yet Sirius was God's favourite. It seemed only natural for Regulus to descend into the darkness the way he did; like Michael and Lucifer.

Everyone forgot that Regulus existed outside of his brother. She supposed he was used to it by now.

"What's your favourite book?" Hermione asked gently.

His eyes finally shot to her. He asked, "What?"

"What's your favourite book?"

Regulus swallowed. "Why?"

"Well," Hermione honestly didn't know how to explain this, so she decided to be as candid as she could. She owed him that, at least. "I realised last time all we really talked about was Sirius, as if that was the most important aspect of you. But it's not and it was wrong of me to assume that so I want to start over. Get to know you as Regulus, not Sirius' little brother. So what's your favourite book?"