Chapter 21:Assassin

Drew's P.O.V.

When I feel the bullet fly past my ear, I don't think about my next move,I just run. I run down the hallway, I hear the assassin's footsteps right behind, I feel another bullet whiz past my head and lands straight into the wall, I keep on running, I see a door  and go through it, it leads to a stair case, I run down it.

I keep on running, not daring to look back, suddenly I don't hear footsteps behind me, maybe he left I think, suddenly I see a blur of red fly past me, and I hear a thump two stairs down, and footsteps coming towards me. I realize with shock and amazement that he jumped two stairs down, hurriedly I run back up the stairs, not stopping for anything. I know he's right behind me.

I can almost feel him breathing down my neck, while running I make a quick decision, and jump across to the other stairwell, I land like a laundry bag filled with clothes-flat, hard, and graceless, pain smacked across my skin like an electric shock, air exploded out of me, but adrenaline muted the worst of it.

There was no time to rest, with no more landings to run down, I ran towards the basement door, ripped it open, and forced it shut behind me. I look around, a few dozen cars sat among in the indoor parking lot, hundreds of neat rows, mostly sedans, mostly white, I pull the car keys out of my pocket and push a button, I hear the familiar chup-chup unlocking-the doors of a Honda.

I run faster towards the sound, jumped in, shut the door, and locked it. I try not to imagine bullets smashing the windows, outstretched hands pushing inside the car, gripping my ankles, dragging me out, squeezing tight around my neck so I can't breath.

It doesn't work. A crash echoed out across the parking garage, it could have been a door slamming or a gun firing or the hard rubber sole of a sneaker kicking against one of the pillars. The vast space stretched out the sound until it was completely silent.

I sit up slowly, peering through the Hondas windshield, the first thing I saw was my own reflection, wide-eyed and scared, the second was the assassin in my rearview mirror, running towards me.

I put the keys in the ignition, started the car, and drove, I drove out of the parking lot. I hear gunshots being fired at the car. I drive towards the elevator, and drive into it, car and all, just before it closes.

I look at the elevator camera and see that the other elevator is moving also. Damn it, I think, he's following me! I step out of the car and press the button that has the words roof on it. The elevator starts moving, I get back into the car.

I hear the ping of the doors being opened and back the hell out of there, I drive, I hear gunshots fired, are you serious!, he actually followed me!.  I know my one and only option and press the accelerator. he car speeds towards the edge of the roof and flies off it, midair I think, I hope the guys plan my funeral nicely.

The car crashes into the window of the one across the street. Before I black out I think, I hope the guys aren't too mad that I left without telling them. Darkness washes over me.