Chapter 22: Hidden in plain site

Drew's P.O.V

I come to,at first I think, why aren't I at Cole's apartment, and why am I in a car?, suddenly it all comes back to me, the body, the assassin, the chase, the car flying in the air.

I sit up and see that the windshield of the car is broken. I look down my body and see cuts and scrapes from the crash, nothing to bad. I try to get out but the door won't budge. I place my back against my side of the door and kick the passenger door open, I climb out and check the damage to the car, other than the smashed windshield, there are bullet holes dented into the car.

I look at the window I had crashed into, I walk towards it and look down, carefully​ not to show my whole body. Down below I see that the crowd that was trying to look at the crime scene is now looking up at the window where the car landed, they also have a cell phone in their hands, or a video camera, great, I think, this will be on YouTube less than three hours.

I see a news channel van drive up and a camera crew and a reporter get out, they're either talking about the murder or my death-defying stunt,....probably my stunt, it's not every day a white Honda flies through the air.

I take my eyes away from the news crew and look up towards the roof, expecting to see the assassin, except...I don't. I should be glad that he disappeared but I know that this won't be the last time I see him.

I back away from the window and into the hallway only to stop when I hear voices, man voices, one of them says," hm, do you think that this could be connected to the murders?" the other officer snorts, like he can't believe how dumb his partner is and says,"Of course it is,now you search downstairs while I stay up here" .

I hear the sounds of footsteps retreating, I peek my head out to see if the coast is clear. It is, both police officers are gone, I step fully into the hallway, and look for a place to hide, I hear footsteps, I run into the apartment across the hall, the footsteps are inside now.

I tiptoe to the bathroom, step into the shower, and sit down, staying absolutely still, I can hear my heart beating so loud that I'm surprised the officer hasn't found me yet. I hear footsteps retreating back into the hallway, I release the breath that I had in my mouth, phew I think, that was close, I'm about to get up and out of the shower, when suddenly the shower curtain is yanked back and I'm sitting there staring into the eyes of a police officer. Oh yay, this day just keeps getting better and better.