13- Is This Love?

•Kiss It Better By He Is We•

Thirteen

"Please wake up." I begged, holding her little hand in mine. I bent forward and rested my forehead against our interlocked fingers. "Please. I can't lose you."

My eyes brimmed with tears and a few escaped, running down my face. I didn't move to wipe them away. I didn't care. Charlotte still hasn't woken and it's been four days since her last surgery. The doctor said its normal for this to happen, as the brain often shuts down the body for a while as it re-asses what the damage is.

I sighed and kissed her small hand before I sat back in the chair. Her normally vibrant skin was a sickly pale color, her lips a washed-out pink. A piece of golden hair fell over her forehead and I reached over and pushed it away. I stared intently at her chest, heart clenching whenever it seemed it took too long to rise.

She spins and she sways to whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting here wearing the weight of the world on my shoulders
It's been a long day and there's still work to do
She's pulling at me saying "Momma I need you!
There's a ball at the castle and I've been invited
and I need to practice my dancin'
Oh please, Momma, please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Mom, the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancin'
Oh please, Momma, please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She will be gone

The last of the lyrics rolled off my tongue and I release a strangled sob. My tears dripped on her face as I pressed a lingering kiss on her forehead before I stood up and headed towards the door.

Evelyn stood off to the side, arms crossed and eyes closed as she rested her back and head against the wall. I sniffed and her eyes shot open, the grey storm clouds clashed with my drained brown eyes.

"I'm ok." I whispered.

Her hand ran along my cheek and I blinked back tears at the gentle gesture. "I know." Was all she said in reply before she drew me into her arms. My hands wrapped securely around her waist and her sandalwood scent wrapped around me as I buried my face in her hair.

She sighed and mumbled phrases in her own language as her chin rested on top of my head and her hands ran up my arms. Time wasn't something I was safe of as I stood there, warm and safe in her arms. "Come on, let's get something to eat." I looked worriedly at the window but she grabbed my hand. "She's not going anywhere love." She assured me.

I glanced back at the room for a moment before I gave in and let her lead me away. She led me to the small Starbucks located just outside the cafeteria and I ordered a bagel and a Caramel Macchiato.