MTM#VI: THE 7th DISTRICT

JARED'S POV

Today is Friday, which means I'm in the elite class, and Hyra is sitting next to me. My face heats up, so I cover it with my hand and lay my head on the desk.

FLASHBACK

I was thirteen years old when my father took me to Osaka, where I met a girl my age. She was always in front of a shop selling various masks, dressed in fancy clothes with smooth, glass-like skin.

I couldn't resist my curiosity and approached her one day. "Kon'nichiwa," I greeted her, but instead of responding, she just smiled and walked past me.

"Anata no namae o oshiete?" I asked, hoping for her name.

Ignoring me, she continued walking. I followed her for a while until she stopped and faced me, arms crossed. "Why are you following me? What do you want? Are you after something or someone?"

Taken aback, I stammered, "I just want to know your name."

"Who are you? My dad said not to talk to strangers... Oh wait! I don't have a dad," she chuckled. "I'm Hyra Fukushima," she finally introduced herself with another smile.

There was something intriguing about her smiles that I couldn't quite grasp.

"I'm Jared Monteverde. You can call me Red," I offered, extending my hand. She hesitated at first but then shook it. "I'm sorry to ask, but why are you always here? And who's with you? Where's your family?"

Wanting to know her better, I couldn't help but ask questions, though I sensed her unease.

"Family?" She paused, then continued, "I have a brother in the Philippines. Only a butler accompanies me here."

I wanted to ask more but noticed her growing discomfort, so I changed the subject. "I'm hungry. Do you want to grab something to eat?"

Her face lit up instantly, her smile widening as she clung to my arm. "Yukō!! I want pizza."

"I don't eat pineapple on pizza," I admitted.

"Really? Just give me the pineapple, and I'll give you the mushrooms. I don't like those," she bargained.

It seemed we could agree on many things. From that day on, we often met to play and eat pizza. She explained that she loved heroes, and heroes often wore masks, hence her fascination with the mask shop.

Days turned into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years. When her birthday arrived, I woke up early to surprise her, even dressing up to impress. But as I was about to leave, I found Papa at the door.

"Papa," I greeted him with a hug, explaining my plans to see my friend.

"I'm sorry, son, but we must return to the Philippines. You have a duty as a District Leader," he informed me.

Confused and torn, I hesitated. "But what about Hyra? I can't leave her. She's my only friend."

"Go to her, explain, and then prepare to leave," Papa advised gently.