MTM#XXI: HESITATE

ICE' POV

"Good morning, Elite students. Mr. Fonancier can't come to class today, so I will be your substitute," announced the middle-aged man as he entered and wrote his name on the whiteboard.

If Mr. Fonancier isn’t the instructor, it feels pointless to be here.

"This is the first time Mr. Fonancier has missed class. Maybe something bad happened," Jared whispered, his fingers fidgeting nervously.

"Hyra and Christopher are also absent," Carl noted, seeming to think deeply. He glanced at me, and I flinched. "Did your GIRLFRIEND give a reason why she’s absent?" He emphasized the word "girlfriend" mockingly.

I pulled out my phone and showed him Hyra's message.

*(Maniego, I can't go to class today. I don't want to see Carl's face. Can you kill him for me?)*

"What? That’s her reason?"

I don’t know why Carl’s face reddened with anger at Hyra's message, even though he knows it’s just a joke.

"No, she had a high fever when I visited her at her unit earlier. I wanted to stay with her, but she kicked me out."

"Fever? Did you check if she really has a fever?"

"Carl, are you suspecting Hyra?" I asked, fiddling with the pen in my hand.

"N-not like that..."

Does he think about Hyra being close to Christopher?

"Sky!" I called out to Sky, who had just arrived, and he turned to me immediately.

"Yes, Master?"

"Why is Christopher absent?"

Though surprised by my sudden question, he answered, "He was with Dad. They said they were attending a big event."

I nodded and turned to Carl again. "See?"

He rolled his eyes and clicked his tongue before sitting down in his chair.

There's something strange about this man. From the beginning, he and Hyra never got along. Whenever they're together, there's always tension. They seem to hate each other so much.

"Oy Ice, your arm is bleeding," Nathan said, lifting the sleeve of my uniform.

"Where did you get this wound?" he asked, worried.

I stared at Nathan's face. He and Hyra don’t look alike. Nathan looks like he's about to kill someone, while Hyra's face is humble.

"Hey, Ice, are you listening? I'm asking where you got this. Did you fight Demon?"

How could I fight Demon when you all oppose it?

"I got it yesterday. I was hit by a bullet from one of Demon's underlings. I didn’t think it was that deep."

Nathan sighed deeply, and moments later, I saw Jared running toward us, carrying a medical kit.

The substitute instructor continued teaching the Elite women, ignoring the commotion we were causing.

"Master, you have to take care of yourself. Who will replace you as king if you die? I'm not ready yet," Jared panted in front of me, looking foolish.

Who told him he would replace me as king if I die?

They were worried about a small wound, acting as if I were on my deathbed. It was my carelessness yesterday. All I thought about was fighting Demon. I didn’t consider our situation. Demon is surrounded by high-class underlings.