Chapter 20

Rosemarie’s P.O.V

I fumbled with my shoe laces, untying and retying them over and over again.

My breath was about as steady as my shaking fingers, I fidgeted in my seat on the old bench fixed outside the baseball diamond.

It was the nicest diamond I’ve ever even been on. The one at our local park was old and has had no maintenance care for a long time.

But this was a ball club; four fields filled the large space, the grass perfectly trimmed and the ground leveled immaculately; I could’ve only dreamed of playing on those fields. 

Now, as I waited for the man who would declare 14 years of practice being payed off, I felt a bad case of nerves starting to settle in my system.

My knees knocked, turning to jelly beneath me. My hands were sweaty as I gripped the wooden bat in my hands.

Everyone in the gang was there with me; everyone knew how big of a deal this was.

My thoughts were cut short when an old stooped man appeared in front of me, a boy not too much younger than Soda stood beside him; they both looked at my brother.

We stood at their arrival, I knew I had to behave, put on a smile, no matter what they said, whether they let me in, I had to be good.

The man looked gruff, a deadpan expression showcasing his displeasure with the situation.

“I have all members of the ball club going against me on this; the public will be outraged,” he began, his dark eyes glaring at Soda. Sodapop didn’t even blink.

“A girl, in a man’s sport, in baseball,” he continued, bitterly. “This better be good boy, she better be good.”

“She is,” Soda said quickly, “I promise you sir, she’s something worth a look.”

The man stared at Soda a long time, looking for any fear in him; Soda showed none.

 He was confident in me, he really was.

The boy beside the older man averted his gaze between me and Sadie, curiosity contorted on his young face.

I tried to keep my breathing steady, his gaze wracking at my brain, trying to toy with it.

Well! Where is she?” The man roared impatiently, he looked warily at Sadie.

That’s not her, is it?” He growled, looking towards her crutches.

“No, no, this is Rosemarie,” Soda said, grabbing my shoulder and pushing me forward gently.

I stiffened as their eyes fell upon me judgementally. He grumbled, looking disappointed. I felt my heart sink.

“Hello, sir,” I mumbled quietly, smiling shyer that I would’ve wished to.

“Yeah, well, we should get this show on the road; we only have so much time for this.” The man said, marching off towards the field. The boy followed him, and so did I.

I clutched the bat in my hands, my hands trembled around it.

“Here’s how it will go,” he spoke, standing on the pitcher’s mound, the boy close to his side, and a glove in his hands.