Chapter 21

Rosemarie knew it had been far too long since she went to visit her parents even before she started to feel guilty about it.

Now she had that full blown feeling toying with her head and she could no longer stand it. A knot in her stomach that reminded her every time it wanted to.

So she decided to go, even though she wasn’t sure she was emotionally ready; she needed to.

She dressed herself like normal; she wouldn’t put on a show for her parents, it wasn’t an occasion; it was just a visit.

Her hair was down, in its natural curls, her mother liked when Rosemarie’s hair was down since they both had the same curls. 

Rosemarie remembered anything her parents liked. She had always tried to please them, even when they weren’t dead.

She went downstairs that evening feeling even more detached from everyone else than usual.

Soda was happily talking about his evening plans with Sadie.

She smiled as Rosemarie entered the room; she hadn’t seen her at school that day.

“I’m just passing through, but I’ll be leavin’ soon,” Rosey said, grabbing an apple for her dinner.

Soda watched his sister’s actions, his mind raced of uncertainties of what she could be doing.

“Where are you going in such a rush?” he tried to say calmly; he didn’t like how upset she got when he expressed his worry.

When she said nothing, the sharpness of his jaw clenched even tighter.

 Sadie watched this reaction, knowing it was one from frustration.

“You’re never even out on week nights so I don’t see why-“

“I’m going to see Mom and Dad,” Rosey interjected, her words had a bitterness to them.

Soda’s anger vanished, his heart clenched.

Every once in a while he’d feel the empathy he shared with his sister; and he felt it right then.

“Okay,” he said his voice soft.

 He wanted to stand up and hug her, or even go with her, but he knew she’d have none of that.

“Okay, Rosey,” he repeated, “Pony is out tonight, so am I, Darry’ll be home from work in about an hour, but you can come find me, Steve and Sadie at the drag race at club Roma if you need us, or Johnny, Dally and Two-Bit’ll be around somewhere too.“

“I’m fine,” Rosey said a hint of annoyance in her voice.

 She didn’t need him telling her this, she thought.

Soda found anything he said annoyed Rosey, but he piped down, mostly because he didn’t want to upset her anymore with her going to the cemetery and all.

Rosemarie didn’t wait for the OK to go; she simply slipped her shoes on, yelled goodbye and left her house.

The dark clouds that loomed over the sky had the same gloominess as the girl beneath them did.

Rosemarie approached the cemetery entrance, clenching her fists and gritting her teeth.

She didn’t want to go in there; she didn’t like the reality that was waiting for her, written on two white headstones.

But her parents would be disappointed if she didn’t visit, and she would be too, because there was also something about sitting there and talking to them that was comforting.