Chapter 22

Darry waited patiently for the engine of his car to come to life.

It did, in a soft purr.

He started driving down the moonlit street on his way home, just about ready to collapse from exhaustion.

Working late was always a strain for him; his energy level had always ceased by the end of the night.

Darry felt so tired he almost didn’t notice Two-Bit stumbling down the side of the street.

But he did.

Darry stopped the car beside Two-Bit, knowing exactly how drunk he had to be to roam the streets of Tulsa at eight o’clock at night.

Two-Bit merely glanced at Darry as he approached him, a beer in his hand.

“Hey, Two-Bit,” Darry greeted, not feeling up to Two-Bit’s eccentric drunken behavior.

Two-Bit stiffened; trying to appear normal and sober. He was swaying on his feet; to someone else, he might’ve only looked somewhat drunk—But this was Darry, and Darry could tell just by his actions Two-Bit was absolutely hammered.

Darry sighed, wrapping one arm around Two-Bit, leading him towards the car. Two-Bit was too far gone to understand what was happening.

Darry shoved him into the car; Two-Bit slumped against the seat, taking a swig from the half empty beer bottle.

Darry started driving, staring at the road, so he didn’t have to see Two-Bit.

Two-Bit only smiled when he started to realize what was going on.

“Hell fire save matches, fuck a duck and see what hatches- what is up?” Two-Bit laughed as Darry rolled his eyes.

Darry always found talking to a drunk Two-Bit was like talking to an extremely happy, severely brain damaged 30-year-old.

“Do you even realise your drunk?” Darry asked, wondering.

“I am drunk today Darrel, tomorrow I’ll be sober, and you will find no difference in my routine the next day.”

Darry sighed; Two-Bit would go to the worst of bars knowing he could be killed and still get drunk with that danger.

He was hopeless.

“Wu-Where are we going?” Two-Bit asked, his words catching in his throat.

Darry looked over; the bumpy road was causing the beer in his hand to jump around unsafely.

“Jesus, will you toss that thing? If it spills in my car I’ll wipe it up with your face,” Darry muttered, trying to pull it out of Two-Bit’s grasp.

“Noooo!” He whined, hiccupped, and then laughed.

“You’re hopeless,” Darry sighed, pulling away, irritated.

Two-Bit raised the bottle to his lips, “Yeah, so?” he said.

Darry didn’t speak for the rest of the way home, as Two-Bit babbled on about something Darry didn’t understand.

“Aaah, home sweet home,” Two-Bit mumbled, putting his feet on the coffee table. Darry was quick to shove them off.

Two-Bit merely laughed.

Darry sat across from him; even from there the stale smell over took his nose.

The smell of alcohol and hopelessness permeate his bones---it was disgusting to Darry and perfume to Two-Bit who reveled in forgetfulness.