Chapter Fifty-Six

Cramps woke Aislinn from yet another restless sleep and as she opened her eyes, she remembered why she was cramping, and her eyes stung once more. She sniffed, then stiffened when Steve slid his arm about her waist to pull her back against his chest.

She didn't want to cry, but couldn't help it. Miscarriage. Fuck, as Steve would say.

His hand splayed against her stomach. "Shhh... baby... Come here..."

She rolled over to press her cheek into his chest and the hand that had been on her belly came up to the back of her head. "Cry as much as you need to," he murmured, his fingertips moving lightly over her hair. "It's okay, Ash."

"I--I don't want to cry. It's silly." She squeezed her eyes shut, pressing her cheek harder into him. He was warm and she desperately needed that warmth.

"It's not silly," he countered and pressed a kiss into the top of her head. "There's nothing silly about it, Aislinn. It's a loss. Fuck anyone who tells you otherwise."

She pressed her lips together, fighting to control the tears. Steve held her tighter, kissed the top of her head again, and then whispered, "Do you want me to stay home today? I can get Tom to step in for me at the game tonight."

"No. Go to work. I'll be fine."

He pulled away. "Are you sure? I don't care, honey. I'll call out if you want me here."

"I'd love you to be here, but what can you do? I'll be fine. I'll even come to your game tonight. Are you home?"

"Honey, let me get Tom--"

"Steve, please, this is important to you, to your guys. I don't want to be the reason why you let them down."

"Aislinn, you're a little more important." His free hand came down and she pressed her lips together again as his hand came to rest on her stomach. "This is a little more important."

She looked up at him. Her rock. Without him, she would have totally gone to pieces when Kyra confirmed her worst fear. "I know. It's okay. I'm going to go back to Asgard with Kyra. I feel like I should tell my mom. She's been through it."

He nodded. "You want me to go with you?"

"No, you don't have to."

"Ash, I--"

"I really just want to go alone, Steve. But I'll be back in time for the game tonight. I promise."

His forehead creased slightly, even as he nodded. "If you're sure."

"I am."

With that, his alarm went off and he swore under his breath as he reached over to switch it off. "Ash, I--"

"I'm coming back, Steve. Don't worry." She waited for him to sink back into the pillows before snuggling up to him. "Did you think I wouldn't?"

"I thought you might not want to be around me for a while."

"Why?"

"Honey, if I hadn't--"

"You didn't do this, Steve. It had nothing to do with us making love last night. You didn't do anything wrong." She gave him a squeeze. "I would be lost without you, you know. Completely lost and utterly alone and I don't want that."

"Really?"

"Really."

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do, Ash. I think this sucks and I want to be there for you, but I don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to do."

His voice broke and she looked up to find him red-eyed. "Steve, you're doing just fine. This is what I want and what I need." She traced her fingers down the middle of his chest. "And I'll be back tonight. I just need you to hug me and tell me everything is going to be okay."