Chapter Seventy-Two

On Christmas, Aislinn celebrated her thirty-first birthday in addition to celebrating Christmas. They spent the day with family, although they decided it was easier to have her family come to them, instead of having the entire Molinaro clan descend upon Asgard.

All in all, it was one of the best birthdays Aislinn could ever remember and when she looked out the French doors leading off the kitchen to see Steve on the deck, she sighed. He was by himself, the wind blowing his dark hair into tousled peaks, and didn't start when she snuck up behind him and slipped her arms about his waist. "What's the matter?" she murmured, pressing her cheek into his back. The warmth radiated from him. He was just so warm. So solid. Her husband.

"Nothing." He gazed at her over his shoulder. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine. We're both fine," she told him, her left hand curving against her belly, where a foot solidly thumped back. "So, if everything's okay, why are you out here?"

"I just needed a break from everyone." He turned to lean against the railing. It was dusk and in fading light, he looked tired. "Family is a bit much at times."

"I know." She eased her arms about his waist once more. She loved standing like this with him, meeting his dark-eyed gaze so easily. And when he wrapped his arms around her, like he did then, she felt so tiny and delicate, engulfed by him.

"Did you have a nice birthday, Princess?"

"I did, thank you very much." She held up her left arm, the faceted snowflake charm on the delicate black leather braided Pandora bracelet sparkling in the fading light. "It's perfect."

"Yeah? I'm glad you like it." He smiled. "It's tough, finding something for a girl who can make anything she wants appear."

"Steve, you didn't have to give me anything."

"Sure I did. I'm not that much of a douche."

She sighed softly. He looked as if he had a lot on his mind. Giving him a squeeze, she murmured, "What's on your mind, Steve? And don't tell me nothing. I know you. Something's there."

"I'm just thinking."

"About what?"

He kissed her forehead. "How much everything is about to change for us. This time next year, we're going to have an almost-toddler running around here."

"I know." A small knot formed in the pit of her belly. Things had moved so fast for them—from dating, to engagement, to marriage, to family. Maybe he was having second thoughts about all of it. "Isn't that what we wanted, though?"

"Yeah, of course it is." He met her gaze. "Wait, do you think I mean—Ash, of course this is what we wanted. It's what I wanted from the moment I met you." His eyes softened as he held her stare. "But, it's still a huge change and I've never felt the weight of so much responsibility before. I've never been someone's father before, and the thought of it is kind of scary, really. What if I really suck at it?"

"You won't."

"I hope not. But you never know..."

She sighed softly as she glanced out at the yard. Snow began to fall, the flakes small and shifting as they swirled through the air. In the distance, colored lights broke up the monotone of a winter's dusk and the faint tune of Christmas carols danced on the air.

"Steve, if I ask you something, will you be honest with me?"

"What?"

She nodded. "Will you?"