Complicated

My friends were all staring at me like I was stupid but that wasn't new. Smiling sheepishly, I looked at all of them in turn. "Come on, is no one on my side?" I asked.

"No!" They all shouted in unison. For good measure, Katie even pulled up some blades of grass and threw them at me.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, shielding myself with my hands like the grass was deadly. "Why am I always at the end of your guys anger now?" I grumbled, brushing the grass off my pants.

"Because you're stupid." Maria said like it was obvious. "I can't believe you sometimes." Everyone was shaking their heads at me in agreement. A whistle blew on the field, making all of us turn towards the football coach. He was currently yelling at all of the returnees to the team and the new kids trying out for the team. Lance was among the lot looking serious and stony faced. Maria laughed a little. "Look at him, he's so focused."

"I think he's holding back his tears." Daniel said coming to sit by us on the grass. We laughed as Maria smiled up at her boyfriend. They kissed lightly before he settled down on the grass. "He's really hyped up for football and doesn't want to screw this up."

"Didn't he say he was Captain of the varsity team at his old school?" Kenzie asked.

"Yeah and coming here and having to start all over with gaining his teammates trust, showing everyone what he's got, and making a good impression on the coach isn't going to be easy. Especially since he's a senior." Jackie said solemnly.

"I'm sure he'll do fine. I mean, we've never seen him play but if he was Captain of his team last year.."  I replied, trying to put a positive spin on the conversation.

"Yea but that doesn't mean anything. He could have been captain of the worst team in the north east." Kenzie countered, making everyone laugh. Rolling my eyes a little, I looked back over at the players. Tryouts have lasted an hour already and all the boys were sweating up a storm.

"Is the coach going to give them a break soon? They're practically dying out there. It's hotter today than the weather man predicted." Katie commented with a worried look on her face. It was true. It was nearly October but we were pushing 90 on the thermometer. I couldn't wait until it got into the colder months. November through February is when I really thrive.

"Yeah, he should soon. He's not allowed to work them this hard without giving them a break." As of hearing our conversation, the coach blew his whistle again and said,

"Alright you Pansy's! Take a ten minute break and be back here ready to go at it even harder than before." None of the boys groaned or protested, they just walked off, talking quietly under their breaths. Some head for the bathroom, others the water cooler. Lance headed straight for us, wiping the back of his hand across his forehead.

"Hey Sweaty McGee how's it going?" Jackie asked punching Lance's arm lightly before pulling her fist back and shaking it out. "Ew, some of it got on me." Lance started laughing as he plopped down next to me.

"Sorry, it's hot." He flopped down onto his back, his arms outstretched as he took several deep breaths in through his mouth.

"You look like a fish out of water." I commented. Lance rolled his eyes.

"I feel like one honestly." He licked his dry lips. "Does anyone have water?" Immediately, Kenzie, Maria and I pulled out our bottles. Lance sat up slowly, taking mine. "Awesome. You guys are the best." When Kenzie and Maria began to put their bottles back in their bags though, Lance stopped them. "Sorry, I might need all of it though." He had already chugged what was rest of my water and was reaching out for the nearly full bottle Kenzie was handing him.