Something That We're Not

"You are really thick headed." Jake said, rolling his eyes.

"No I'm not." He scoffed.

"Yes you are and I can't believe you're about to cheat on my baby sister."

"It's not a date! It's lunch. We're getting lunch as friends. People do that." I argued. Jake just rolled is eyes again. "What like you've never gotten lunch with a girl and it wasn't a date?" I asked.

"The only time I get lunch with a girl is usually because we're going in a date.." He paused. "Or if it's my mom or Lily. Otherwise, I don't get lunch with a girl."

"Well, it's not a date."

"Did you tell her that?" Jake asked.

"No but.."

"Did you tell her you have a girlfriend?"

"Uhh..."

"Then it's a date and you owe me money."

"I don't owe you anything. I'm not going on a date, I'm not cheating on Lily.. It's not a date."

"Uh-huh.. But if she tries to kiss you or anything, you better tell me because you owe me money and I want to see Lily slap you when you tell her." I swallowed hard. I wasn't cheating. It wasn't a date.. Right? Just lunch. Lunch between friends.

"She wouldn't.. Well she might but.. I never agreed on the ten bucks thing." I reminded him.

"So what. Just go on your date, come back and tell me the details." I glared at him, grabbed my jacket off of my bed and headed for the door. "Have fun on your date!"

"It's not a date!" I shouted back at him, closing the door. I wasn't even picking her up. We were meeting up at a Panera not far from campus. Putting on my jacket, I started to head towards the buildings exit.

Instead of taking my car, I started to walk. Like I had said, it wasn't that far. The entire time I walked, I tried to convince myself that this wasn't a date despite what Jake had said. So what if I never told Andrea I had a girlfriend. She was buying me lunch because she wanted to thank me for helping her. No harm done.

"Hey Calum." I stopped, coming to a halt in front of the place.

"Oh hey, I didn't realize I had gotten this close." I said looking up at the sign. She laughed.

"Come on, lets go in and order." She said touching my elbow before looping her arm through mine. I paused slightly at the door. Why was she holding on to me? I opened the door for her and she smiled, letting go of me to walk through. Okay, that was weird but this still isn't a date.

After ordering our food, Andrea found a small booth and slid into one side of the table. I copied her, sitting down as well. "So i aced my test because of you. You were a really big help Calum." I shrugged.

"No big deal."

"It is though." I probably would have failed otherwise." We were quiet. I didn't really know what to say to her. We had only had conversation about math really and now it looked like we were going to have to incorporate some other topics.