Talk of the Town

"Have you heard yet?" Maria asked excitedly, sitting down in front of me at lunch that second week of school on Wednesday. I finished chewing my food, staring at her perplexed.

"Yes, I've been able to hear my entire life." Maria rolled her eyes at me and my sarcastic reply.

"Shut up Lily, I'm talking about the new kid." She said excitedly. I arched an eyebrow at her. New kid? A freshman? Why would I care about some new freshman. "I see the look on your face and no, it's not a freshman. He's in our class and he's incredibly cute!" She said excitedly.

"How do you know?" I asked. Had she seen him or was she just overhyping him?

"He's in my first period. He had to introduce himself to the class.. Poor soul." She said looking off into the distance dramatically. "But he was super cute!" She exclaimed, reverting back to her original tone. "He's from New York and his name is Lance, short for Lancelot you know.. Like in Camelot?"

"Yes I'm aware of King Arthur and the Knights of his Round Table." I say with a nod of my head.

"Well, anyway. He has blonde hair, blue eyes. He's insanely tall and.." I held up my hand to stop her.

"Umm... Should I care? I have a boyfriend." Maria rolled her eyes.

"I know, duh. He's for me." She replied indignantly. I started laughing.

"Right, right. Silly me I forgot the world didn't revolve around me." Maria snorted.

"Damn right it doesn't." She grumbled, crossing our arms as the rest of our friends began to grace us with their presence.

"Maria looks throughly pleased. Is the pizza good today for once?" Jackie asked as she sat down next to me.

"She was just telling me about this kid Lance and how she wants to marry him." Maria scoffed.

"Marriage? Don't you think that's a little early in our relationship?" Maria asked and I shrugged. Kenzie took over the conversation.

"You mean your fake relationship with Lance from Camelot?" Our other friends laughed.

"It's not fake! I will make that boy like me." Maria said determinedly.

"I wouldn't bother, Mallory Fields already called dibs." Katie said taking a bite out of her sandwich. Maria pouted, eyebrows furrowing together.

"No fair! I have him in my first period! Mallory isn't in that class. I saw him first!" She declared.

"Technically, whoever saw him walk onto campus saw him first." Jackie pointed out making Maria glare at her. Jackie threw her hands up in defense. "Just saying." She murmured. I laughed lightly.

"Have a little faith guys. I'm sure you can win his heart Maria." I said smiling at her.

"Glad someone's on my side." She grumbled. "Thanks Lily."

"Of course." I said with a smile.

"I'll be right back, I'm thirsty." I said, standing and heading over to the drink machine. It mostly dispensed soda but there was Gatorade in it too which is what I really wanted. Taking out my purse, I waited behind the guy in front of me as he put money into the machine. I wasn't paying much attention to him until he said,