Chapter 24: Getting her way

Kennedy King:

"He's not picking up." I sigh, putting my phone down. I drop my head into my hands and groan. I wanted to cry.

Austin places a hand on my upper back. "Don't stress it, Kennedy. You and Justin have been through so much. He wouldn't leave it all just because of of a silly little kiss that some guy put on you."

"He's right, Kenn." Vanessa piped in. I peak through my fingers and what her place a cup of tea in front of me. "Hell you two dealt with worse shit. Remember when Ashley pulled that stunt and suddenly returned?"

I take the tea Vanessa placed in front of me into my hands. The mug is warm and I wrap my fingers tightly around the mug, letting the warmth burn my fingers until Austin frowns and takes the mug out from my hands.

"Or when Justin lost his shit and slept with those girls? You wouldn't answer him for weeks and then you two found your way back to each other. This is nothing compared to the things you two have been through."

Vanessa takes a sip of her own tea. "Don't forget that he loves you very much. He's angry now, he just needs to cool off and give you time to explain. We know you would never kiss anyone just to get back at him because you two are fighting."

I want to tell Vanessa that she's right, but for some reason I felt sick on the inside. What if she was wrong? What if this was the last straw in our relationship? One part of me was still mad at Justin for the whole apartment thing, but now? I feel guilty and tired and confused.

I don't know how to feel about this anymore. Sighing, I rub my eyes. "I'm sorry about dropping all this on you, Vanessa. I know you just came back from your flight and your exhausted." I apologize to her.

She just waves me off, "Don't even worry about it. Speaking of Spain, I got you something!" She squeals and Austin sends me a small smile which I return.

Vanessa rushes to her suitcase and opens it up, searching through it until she found what she was looking for. They were both wrapped up tightly and I try to think of what both objects could be.

She hands it over to me with a big smile on her face. "Open it!"

Doing as told, I open up the first gift. "This is so cute!" I exclaim, slightly cheering up when I see what it was. It was a little statue of a hispanic dancer in a beautiful red and black dress. "I would have had the perfect spot to place this, but since I'm currently homeless..." I trail off, staring down at my feet.

My mind is back on Justin. Back on our fights and that stupid kiss with Cody. I couldn't stop thinking about Justin. I wanted to talk to him. I needed to talk to him. I don't think i'm ready to fully forgive him about the whole apartment thing and I don't think he's ready to forgive me about the kiss, but we need to talk about it.

If only he'd just answer his phone!

Vanessa and Austin make me open the next gift which was a lovely patterned fan. I thank Vanessa for the gifts and excuse myself, saying that I was tired and wanted to sleep.

Austin had set up the guest room for me at Vanessa's place and I thanked him before saying goodnight to the both of them and heading off to bed.

That night I couldn't sleep at all. I just stared at the ceiling and thought of Justin. I roll over to my side and grab my phone, unlocking it. My finger hovers over Justin's name in my contacts and I call again. It rings, but I'm disappointed once again when he doesn't pick up. I know he's avoiding me, but it was also making me curious and nervous. What was he doing at this time?

I place my phone down and close my eyes. My emotions were all mixed up. One second I want to scream, another I want to cry and then I want to just run into Justin's arms and tell him I love him and that i'm sorry and I feel guilty, but then I want to yell and say that I'm still angry with him. Why must this be so complicated?