Chapter Five

Sophie's POV:

I sat quietly in the one place where a loner like me goes to for some alone time. The library was quite empty today—well, it usually always is, but the librarian is usually behind her desk, reading a romance novel. It was a ghost town in here.

I set the book I was previously reading down on the big, wooden round table and pushed my chair back. I headed for the last isle of books; the dystopian ones. My hand ran across over the rows of books as I walked down. The other one was caught in my curled up red hair.

I read the titles of each book quietly to myself, searching one of my interest. So far, I've read of the Divergent series, but I have yet to read The Giver. I pulled the book out from the tight cramped space of books and blew the little coat of dust that had formed off into the air.

I turned on my heels and headed in the direction of where I was last seated, when I ran into a hard, built up chest. My foot tripped over the other and sent me falling to the ground in the most ungraceful manner. My head bounced a few times before resting on the carpeted floor.

"Oops," a deep voice said from above me. I met a hand that was set in from of my face. It was big and tan, just like most of the guys back at Miami HighSchool.

Stop it, Sophie. Stop thinking about the past.

I lace my hand around his and allow him to pull me to my feet. I decided it would be rude of me to not look him in the eyes. So, I slowly look up and into his eyes and became dazzled. They were a shade of light green. He was a tall guy with black hair and a nice smile, one that he is giving me right now.

"Sorry. I was too busy reading a text." He apologized and released my hand, letting it drop to my side. He smiled kindly and placed his hands over his chest. "I'm Josh." He introduced.

I return his smile and chuckle. "I'm Sophie."

"Such a pretty name for such a pretty girl." I felt a deep blush rise to my cheeks at the complement and brought my attention to my shoes. "Hey, don't be shy." Josh placed a finger under my chin to look into his eyes again. "Hasn't anyone complemented you before?" He asked with a slight shake of his head.

"No." I responded, then scrunch my eyebrows. "Well, just one person has." I said.

"Let me stop you there because your parents do not count."

"No! No, no, no. . .no. . ." My voice lowered and tears beamed at the back of my eyes as I remember my parents—my last words to them being hateful and the image of their throats slit open, all hitting me at once. I felt like crying.

"Oh, did I say something wrong?" Josh asked, concern covering his face.

I shook my head and forced a weak smile. "No, no. Just. . .bad memories."

He nodded his head in understandment and glanced around the library. Josh phone buzzed in his hand. He took the time to respond back to whoever it was who texted him and glanced back at me. "I've gotta go. It was nice meeting you." He said, but before he left, he pulled his phone from his pocket and unlocked, handing it to me. "We should hang out some time. Want to exchange numbers?"

"Sure."

I hand him my phone and retrieve his. I entered my number and handed it back. He bid me a goodbye and headed in the opposite direction from me.

I met up with Ann outside. "Hey."

"Hi."

"What's got you all smiley?"

"Nothing."

"It's definitely not nothing. You have some explaining to do later. Right now, we're late!"