Chapter Twenty Six

Unedited!

Henry's POV:

The thought of Sophie bleeding to death ran through my head. She doesn't deserve this, not again. I can only imagine how that must've felt, almost dying. Sophie told me she saw her parents and that for a brief moment, she was in heaven.

The way she described, beautiful, peaceful--it made me have hope. After the death of my brother, and being told that Ben had killed my parents after promising to return them to us if we give him Sophie, I lost hope.

"Hel-"

Sophie's voice sounded muffled and like she was under water. Then I remembered: the bridge was breaking. "Sophie!" I ran faster and stopped right where the bridge used to stand.

The two stands that held the bridge up still stood apart from each other with the ropes still attached to it. Down where the river was, Sophie was fighting for her life.

Josh kept dragging her into the water every time she tried to get out, pushing her head under.

I jumped right in and swam towards them. Josh laid his eyes on me and was ready to aim with his gun, but Sophie accidentally knocked it down with her waving arms for help.

I clenched my right hand into a tight ball and threw a punch at Josh's left eye. His grip on her head loosened and went towards his eye. Sophie stuck her head out from under water and inhaled a large amount of air.

The rain was still pouring and it was dark by now, but I managed to find her shoulders and guided her through the water--But I was pulled by the back collar of my wet tee shirt. "Where do you think you're going, huh?!" Josh yelled, turned me around and threw a punch at my nose.

I groaned as the blood oozed out. "Henry!" Sophie cried, about to swim back but I stopped her.

"No, Sophie! Go to where Ann-"

Bang!

Josh shot at Sophie, but luckily he missed. She screamed and swam towards the ledge. Josh let me go, leaving me to sink into the below freezing water. I didn't have time to breath in air before sinking, instead now I'm inhaling water.

"Bah!" [A.n. That's the sound that's made when opening your mouth under water. Well, at least in this book it is :)]

I swam to the surface just in time to hear Sophie cry for help. "Sophie!" I yelled, swimming closer to them. Josh's arm was wrapped around her neck.

"Argh, come on! Why won't you die already?!"

That's when I heard a familiar voice yell, "I'm coming Sophie!"

Carter's POV:

In the water, I saw all three of them; Sophie, Henry and Josh. I was going to kill him once I got my hands on him.

I jumped right in and swam towards them. His arm was wrapped around Sophie's throat. "Let go of her!" I growled and jumped on top of him.

We both went under water, and I was first to throw a punch. My fist came in contact with Josh's cheek.

Josh drew back his leg and brought it back towards my knee. I groaned, getting water into my lungs.

I kicked back at him, in the one place I know would hurt. My foot jabbed into his private area. Josh cried in pain and stopped kicking his legs to keep a float. He sank down to the bottom.

I knew he would recover and swim back up, so I quickly swam up to the surface. I saw Henry and Sophie standing on the ground, waiting for me. They were panting, out of breath. I swam towards them and got out of the water.

Without hesitation, I wrapped my arms around Sophie. "Oh my God. Thank God you're alright." I whispered out of breath.

"Carter, I-"

Sophie was cut off by a large gasp for air. I turned my head in Josh's direction. He was still in the water, looking more angrier than ever. His gun was in his hand, aiming towards us. "You're going to pay for this!" Josh growled, clicking his gun.

"No!"

Bang! Bang!

I waited for the pain to hit me, but it never came. The sudden worriness and fear that Sophie may have taken the shot hit me. But when I looked down at her, she wasn't there. Instead, she was laying on the ground with her head down and arms covering it. Henry was on top of her, shielding her.

He must've pushed her out of the way. A ping of jealously spread to my stomach. That should've been me.

I didn't want to sound pety at the moment, so I just looked over at the river and didn't see Josh any where. Only a pool of blood spreading in the water.

Wait. . .who shot him?

I looked back and saw Ben standing there, with his gun still in hand, by his side. His breathing could be heard from where I was standing. "No one. Hurts someone I care about."

My lips were still a gap, breathing in air myself. Ben turned around, but I stopped him, "Ben!" He looked over his shoulder and raised a tired brow. "Thanks. For everything. I really appreciate it."

Ben smirked and opened his mouth to speak. "It's no problem, Mahone." And with that he looked away and continued to walk in the direction of the road.

I glanced down at Sophie, who was looking up at me. I bent down and cradle her in my arms. Tears spilled from my eyes, the same with her. I grabbed her by the cheeks and in a quick manner, I press my lips to hers.

"Sophie! Henry!" A female's voice cried. The girl from before came running towards where we were and jumped on top of Sophie and Henry, who was sat next to her.

"Ann!" They both cried, crushing each other in a bear hug. "Austin!" I heard AC's familiar voice and ran towards him.

"Fuck, Austin!" AC wrapped his arms around my neck. "I thought I lost you, bro! You can't just leave like that and not give me, or the others, a warning! They're worried about you too, you know? Even your mom has been asking about your where abouts-"

"AC!"

"What!"

I chuckled. "I'm fine! Just a few bruises, that's all."

"Oh thank god-"

"Austin!" Mark was running towards us in speed. He jumped on top of me, knocking me to the ground. "You're Alive!" Mark looked around the area. "Did you find her?"

I looked over to where Sophie was, with Ann and Henry. I grinned happily, at last.

"Yeah. I did. I finally did."

***

This is not the last chapter! There's still an epilogue to be written!