Chapter Nine

*Unedited*

Sophie's POV:

My feet trudged down the halls when I go to the cafeteria. My hands softly push open the cafeteria doors, revealing the large crowd of students gathering their lunch. As usual, I just wait in line to get a ham sandwich, side salad, and Lays (the original one).

Once it's my turn, I reach for the last sandwich. But, another hand grabs the other end of it, making me stop. It was tan, compared to mines. The person who the hand belonged to chuckled from beside me. When I look up to my side, it surprises me to see Josh smiling down at me.

"I didn't think you would like the sandwiches here?" He states. He still hasn't bother to let go of his end of the sandwich.

I smirk at him. "I would say the same about you."

He returns the gesture and moves a little closer. "How about we split this? Don't want to hold up the line, now." He suggested before taking it from my grasp.

I didn't object, only because people were starting to demand me to hurry it up. I swipe my lunch card after Josh and then follow him to the door. My guess is he was heading towards the library, where we met the last time. He used his free hand to open the door, letting me through first.

What a gentleman.

We sat in a table by the window, where you could see the gym and trees lined up on the sides.

As promised, he hands me my share of the sandwich. My head snaps towards the front of the library, where I saw Henry and Ann entering with their lunch trays. They came to where we sat, taking a seat themselves.

Ann gave a blank stare." Hey." She said, dropping her head to look at her bowl of salad. Yeah, she's the one who got me to eat salads, saying its good for my health.

Henry smiled at the both of us, saying, "so how long have you two been here?"

From the corner of my eye I saw Ann roll her eyes and dug her fork into a chunk of lettuce. Seriously, what has gotten with her? "Oh, we just got here a few minutes before you two." Josh said, smiling over at me.

A snap came from beside me. Ann's fork was snapped in half, the hand it was held in was clenched pretty tightly. "Ann?" I said, concern lacing in my voice.

She only gave me the same blank expression from before, before turning turning towards Henry. "You have a spare fork?" She asks him, sounding upset for some reason.

Henry skims his tray before answering, "no, I don't have one. Sorry."

"I have one," Josh said, holding out a plastic fork towards Ann.

Ann stared down at her bowl with her hand held out to retrieve. "Thank you," she thanked quietly, digging it into a piece of chicken. Her cheeks were a slight tint of pink, making question her.

"So, any of you have plans for tonight?" Henry asked, breaking the awkward silence that had fallen upon us. All of us said no, making him continue. "I was thinking that maybe we all could go see a movie? Then later look around the mall or something?" He suggested.

My cringe goes unnoticed as I think about last night when I went with Carter to the movies. I don't know why I still call him that, his name is clearly Austin now. Used to it, I guess.

"Sure."

"Alright."

"I'm in."

"Great! How about after school?" Henry said, all of us agreeing. I mean, I have no parents who would wait for me to come home anymore. That brought tears to my eyes. I hold them back, not wanting the three of them to see me tear up about the thought of my parents. Ann and Josh don't know nothing about my past, only Henry. Well, because he was there when it all happened. He must've noticed my upset expression, because I felt his hand taking mines in his, squeezing it for comfort. "It's okay." He mouthed to me when Ann and Josh weren't looking.

I smile sadly at him and nod my head.

I'll try to not think about it.

***

The four of us all hopped into Ann's Range Rover and buckled up. I sat in the passenger seat while Henry and Josh sat in the back. Josh looked around the car, nodding his head. "Nice car, Ann." He complimented with a smile. Next to me, I saw Ann smile and thanked him quietly.

It starts to make sense to me now. She likes Josh.

How stupid am I? She was being really open with the fact that she was upset with me. I mean, she hardly talks to me anymore. Poor Ann, she must think he likes me or the other way around. Little does she know my heart belongs to someone else. . .someone who I can't even tell that it's me, the girl he thinks he's lost.

I glance back through the rear view mirror. My heart fell when I saw Josh staring at me through the mirror, grinning once he caught my eye.

Oh no.

I awkwardly smile back then look away.

No, no, no. Does Josh like me? Please not. I can't have Ann hate me even more than she does now.

I noticed Henry was glaring at Josh—who pays zero attention to him.

Crap, no! Please don't tell me Henry still likes me, too?! What the fuck, man! I'm not even that pretty. . .

We reach the parking area of Dolphin Mall and park in section C. We got out at the same time, already walking towards the entrance of the mall. It was crowded with young and old people coming and going. Ann, who walked ahead of me with Henry, looked uncomfortable—like she wanted to go hide in the corner.

We got on the escalator and wait till it reached the second floor.

Ann opened the door leading inside for us, allowing the person behind us take ahold of it. God, it was so loud in here. I made a few eye contact with a couple of people passing by, receiving odd looks. I could understand why Ann avoids eye contact with people. They're so rude!

"Hey," I glance over at Josh, who walked beside me wearing a wide grin.

"Hi," I said, looking away from him. Please don't like me, please don't–

"Did I mention earlier today that that's a nice outfit you've got going?" He complimented.

I laugh awkwardly. "No, but thanks."

"Your welcome." He smiled.

I looked ahead to catch Ann's sad eyes. She looked away once we made eye contact, and hugged herself. Henry looked back at us and glared at Josh again.

We stood in line, deciding on which movie to see. I heard multiple people go behind us, annoying me with their loud voices. Haven't they've heard of inside voices?

"Let's watch the Ghost Buster movie!" Henry recommends, smiling excitedly.

I laugh at his enthusiasm and agree. Ann and Josh agree too, and soon it was our turn to buy tickets. Once we pay the guy, we wait in line for the snacks.

My whole body froze once my eyes landed on the faces of their familiar faces.

Fuck, it can't be them! Not now!

***

Double update! For taking so long with the last update.

Don't forget to vote and leave a comment.

Love,
1DStyles18