Chapter Twelve

Unedited!

Alex's POV:

"AC, come on!" Dan pulled at my arm, almost making me drop my phone.

"Dude, there's a huge group of people walking in the direction of the Cheese Cake Factory! We're not going to be able to get a table then!" Mark said with a hint of desperation.

I grunt and lock my phone. They couldn't wait just a minute? I was texting Austin. They grabbed me by the arms, haling me towards the exit. Sarah from behind, wounding up by my side. I gave her pleading eyes as a sign for help. Again, she only laughed—actually helping them pull me!

We end up by the entrance to the restaurant. They let go and walked right in. I sigh but smile, going in myself. I went by Sarah and reached for her hand. She smiled up at me and pecked me on the cheek. We waited as Dan got us a table. He came back with a card in hand, waving it in the air. "We have to wait for the card to light up once it's been thirty minutes." Dan explained with a frown.

"Thirty minutes!" Mark exclaimed. People's heads turned in our direction—including the waiters and seated consumers. He laughed, embarrassed.

"Guess we'll have to wait." Sarah said.

***

For what felt like hours, thirty minutes finally passed and our card light up with a bright red light. It's probably because it's late and inside is quite dark.

We were seated in a booth outside, which I wish they hadn't. Flies were flying around our table and it really was annoying me. I used a cloth that they had given each of us to swat them away. Pointless, though, because they kept coming back for more.

Dan and Mark sat in front of me and Sarah. A waiter came by with four menus, setting one in front of each of us. She smiled politely and cup her hands. "Good evening. Can I get you something to drink while you look over our menu?" She offered.

Mark ordered a Coke, Dan ordering the same thing. I ordered water and Sarah ordered green tea.

The waiter left, saying she'd be back with our drinks.

"I love it here, especially when it's dark." Sarah comments, glancing around the area.

"Yeah, but I would've preferred inside better. No flies going around to disturb you." I frown.

"I just can't wait for dessert." Mark said, licking his lips right after. Dans phone buzzed on the table, gaining our attention. "Ooh, Dan's got a text from someone. A girl maybe?" Mark teases, nudging his shoulder.

Dan chuckled, saying, "I wish. No, it's just Austin. Reminding me to keep a good look out for that Penelope girl. He still believes she's Sophie."

I felt Sarah tense beside me at the mention of Sophie's name. I avert my eyes to her, and sure enough her eyes were getting watery. This is a tough subject for her. Austin really is making us feel shitty with his assumptions.

The other day when it was Sarah's birthday, someone commented on her post saying she never cared about them or so much for calling her a best friend. She broke down the moment she saw that, sobbing out Sophie's name.

The waiter came back with all four of our drinks and a basket full of bread inside. She pulled out four straws from the pocket of her apron tied on her waist and dropped them on the side. She then pulled out her notebook and pen, smiling down at us. "Ready to order?"

Crap.

We look at one another, trying to hold back our laugh. Seems that we forgot to read the menu.

"How about some burgers and fries?" I asked, looking at the others unsure. They shrug, as a sign to say it was okay.

"Great. How would you like the patty cooked?"

"Well done?"

"Okay! I'll be back with your orders in just a few minutes."

She scurried off to the door leading inside.

We conversed for the time being—every once and a while the waiter came by to inform us that our food would be ready soon. Dan and Mark began arguing on who was way more gorgeous: Selena Gomez or Ariana Grande. At one point Sarah interfered in their conversation to give her opinion, which she thinks is Selena.

The waiter came by with our burgers and fries, setting each plate in front of us. The smell of the freshly made burgers engulfed me.

I chomped off a huge piece and chewed it with satisfaction. Before I knew it, my burger was gone and only a few pieces of fries were left. "Hey, who stole my fries!" I said, eyeing Mark from across the table.

"Why are you looking at me for!" Dan laughed and Sarah giggled while I kept eyeing Mark. We stared each other down before he blurts, "okay, fine! They were just siting there! How could I not take them?"

"I knew it!"

"I'm sorry!"

"Now I'm left here to starve–"

"There's still dessert, Alex."

"Not until you're all done!"

"Hold up,"

We all look at Mark, who stared off into the sidewalk area where you cross to to the parking lot. I scrunch up my eyebrows. "What?"

"Okay, I don't know if I'm seeing things or if Austin had got in my head, but isn't that the girl he's accusing of being Sophie?" He points over at the group of four that are posing for a picture.

I squint my eyes to get a better view. "Yeah. . ."

"Wait a—hold the phone—holy sh—is that Henry?" Mark exclaims. He stood up from his seat and cupped his mouth with his hands. "Hey! Hey, you! Henry!"

"Mark!" We yell.

But, Henry looked in this direction and flinched. So did that girl.

And they ran off, dragging the other two with them.

***

It's been a while since I've eaten in the Cheese Cake Factory, so I don't really remember the menu items.