Chapter 22 (Wedding Day, Part Two)

(Thanks for suggesting the Corpse Bride vows, although they may not be very accurate because I've had no wifi for the past week! That also means I haven't edited it either. Anyway see ya in another week.)

Hercules' P. O. V.

It was warm out. The sun was shining, the sky was clear, and the faintest of breezes ruffled the petals of the flowers lined up alongside the altar. It was the perfect day for a wedding.

To say that Hercules Mulligan was nervous was a gross understatement. Actually, it was more of a toxic mix of anxiety and excitement. The crowd was murmuring indistinctly from the benches in front of him, and for some reason it was making him antsy. He just wished that time hadn't ground to a halt around noon, the less he had to awkwardly stand here alone, the better.

A hush fell upon the crowd. Hercules looked up.

"Oh my." He whispered to no one, his jaw dropping in awe. His heart fluttered as Lafayette walked down the aisle. Washington was walking them down the aisle, and Eliza and Maria were holding the train of their dress. They stepped up onto the altar.

"Do you like it?" Lafayette asked. Hercules grinned.

"You look beautiful, dear." He whispered. A lock of hair sprung out in front of Lafayette's face. Hercules tucked it behind their ear, and laughed.

The priest coughed.

Lafayette and Hercules quieted, and turned towards him.

"Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today in the presence of these witnesses, to join Hercules Mulligan and Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier Marquis de Lafayette-"

A few people, including Lafayette themselves, snickered at the the way the priest drew out their name. The priest cleared his throat.

"-in matrimony commended to be honorable among all; and therefore is not to be entered into lightly but reverently, passionately, lovingly and solemnly. Into this, these two persons present now come to be joined. If any person can show just cause why they may not be joined together, let them speak now or forever hold their peace."

The congregation was silent.

Hercules took a deep breath.

"With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never empty, For I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way in darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine." Hercules recited, slipping the ring onto Lafayette's finger. He heard murmurs of "Oh! He's doing the Corpse Bride vows!" and "I love that movie!" from the audience, and he smiled.

"Do you, Hercules Mulligan, take Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier Marquis de Lafayette to be your lawfully wedded... partner?" The minister said, adding an unnecessarily long pause before the word "partner", like they'd almost lapsed into using words like "husband" or "wife". If they'd had, Lafayette would've either been too exited to be at their wedding to notice or care, or they would've socked the minister upside the head. There was no in between.
"I do." Hercules said, remembering what he was up there to do. The minister nodded, before turning to Lafayette.
"And do you, Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier Marquis de Lafayette, take Hercules Mulligan to be your lawfully wedded husband?" The minister continued.
"I do, I do, I do!" Lafayette exclaimed, tears welling in the corners of their eyes.
"You may kiss... erm..."
"French kiss that Frenchman!" Someone, most likely Laurens, called from the congregation. While this comment somewhat lacked in fact, it elicited laughter from most of the attendees. The minister stood there, slightly flustered by the boisterous crowd. Hercules looked at Lafayette. He smiled. Lafayette threw their arms around Hercules' neck, stood on the balls of their feet, and kissed him. Hercules could hear the crowd cheer, and a couple camera flashes went off.
"How's the perfume smell?" Lafayette whispered to him while the crowd was still settling down.
"Like someone fed a Disney princess into a juicer, but I still like it." Hercules answered. Lafayette burst into infectious laughter, which soon spread to Hercules. The two stood at the altar, laughing their heads off, while onlookers stared in confusion and concern.
"Alright, we're married, so let's go get drunk!" They both yelled out, turning out to the audience. Everyone, mostly Laurens, cheered. Lafayette held out their hand, and Hercules took it as they walked back down the aisle.

It was warm out. The sun was shining, the sky was clear, and the faintest of breezes ruffled the petals of the flowers lined up alongside the altar. Hand in hand with Lafayette, a small throng of people behind them, Hercules Mulligan couldn't be happier. It really was the perfect day for a
wedding, he thought as the group headed towards the reception hall.

(Okay yeah see ya in a week, I gotta go be in Concert Band.)