Chapter 15 (The Dress)

(It's like, that part of the day again where I can't focus on anything right now (this was written at 3 in the morning), so if I messed up with spelling or something, that's probably why. Just a disclaimer. New cover, too. The new cover is nice. Also, I just realized that I forgot Lafayette's they/them pronouns and kicked myself for it, so let me know if I missed one in this chapter.)

"Three words, mon amie. Poofy. Wedding. Dress. It's a family tradition, and it needs to be carried on!"

Lafayette had cornered Laurens in the hallway, and they weren't interested in small talk. The whole conversation of what Lafayette was going to wear was confined into short moments when Hercules wasn't around, as Lafayette insisted on keeping it a secret from their fiancé. So far, the conversation had gone in circles. While Laurens wanted his friend to wear what they wanted, all the dress shops that agreed to see them didn't have a single dress like the one Lafayette was looking for. All he could do was call in and see. The last three had turned their noses at them, and if they tried to order a dress it wouldn't arrive in time.

"I'm trying, Laf." He assured them.

Lafayette nodded. "I know you're trying, and I might be a little unreasonable right now, but I've just wanted this for so long... Anyway, thanks for trying." They shrug, and walk away, spotting their fiancé in the mob of students. Laurens could see how much they wanted this, and vowed to try a little harder to find this dress. His phone chimed.

"Hello, Mr. Laurens?" A woman's voice croaked over the phone. It was one of the shopkeepers, the old woman who was quite fond of Lafayette. She'd tried extra hard to find the dress, but had ultimately failed.

"Yes?" He answered.

"I've found it."

After classes, Laurens dragged Lafayette outside.

"You know the old dress shop down the street?" Laurens asked.

"Oui." They answered.

"She's found a dress." Laurens said calmly.

The two looked at each other for a moment before squealing. Lafayette jumped up and down excitedly before crushing Laurens in a bone-shattering hug.

"Merci, merci beaucoup!" They repeated.

"Come on, we have a dress to pick up."

Lafayette twirled around once more, looking at themselves from every angle.

"It's... perfect! It's everything I could've hoped for, plus it makes my ass look great."

"You can't even see your ass under all that fabric." Laurens snickered.

"Yes, but still..." They retorted, "Anyway. It's still the perfect dress."

They walked back into the dressing room, and returned in their normal clothes. Walking up to the counter, they dug out their wallet.

"Au revoir, rainy day fund." They whispered, putting the money on the counter. When the old lady handed almost half of it back, they jumped in surprise.

"A discount." Was all she had to say. Laurens watched Lafayette as they tried to pay full price, but the woman was stubborn, and in the end Lafayette walked out of the store with the money, as the woman had promised to take care of the dress until they needed it.

"It is nice to know that there are still nice people left in the world, is it not?" Lafayette asked him as they walked back to campus.

"It is, Laf. It really is." Laurens answered.

When he got back to his dorm, Hamilton was sitting on his bed.

"Alex?" Laurens said, confused.

"What?"

Laurens remembered Angelica's advice. Be honest? He could do that.

"We... we need to talk."

(Laurens, you fool, that's the wording that you want to AVOID.)