Chapter 12

Alen shakily stood up, his mouth opening and closing, and then suddenly his legs kicked into action and he shot up the stairs.

"Alen where are you going?!" Melissa screeched after him and he paused for a breathless moment at the top of the staircase.

"To lock myself in a room upstairs." He said with a duh look, "The ghost spirit thing went that way," he pointed down towards us, "so I'm going this way." He pushed his thumb to point over his shoulder.

"What?" Melissa said.

"Join me if you want." He shrugged and then seemed to remember something, and soon disappeared from our sight.

"Anyone going to help me with Seica?" I said, lifting up her arms. Her hand was still slightly warm and not cold like I expected. I sighed, well obviously, she's not dead. Melissa nodded silently and picked up Seicas leg and Michelle picked up her other leg. We waddled up the stairs awkwardly, trying not to hit Seica on the stairs that much.

"Alens already running away?" I said.

"What a loser." Michelle said.

"We're locking ourselves up?" Melissa said. "What good is that?"

"I don't know, why don't you ask him?" I said. I continued up the stairs and heard the footfalls of the others behind me. I made it in time to see Alens brown haired head disappear into one of the bedrooms. I dropped Seicas arms lightly, dashed forward, and caught the door with my foot before he could shut it. "Seriously don't ditch us."

"Sorry."

"Whatever. It's only natural to care about your own survival before anyone else's." I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm, but he just nodded and shuffled further into the room. I groaned inwardly. No one understood my sarcasm, jeez. The door shut closed behind me and I turned to see Alen sit with his back to the wall, hugging a pillow. He looked like a child. Melissa grabbed a blanket from off the bed and wrapped herself in it. I blinked. What? And then suddenly I felt it. The temperature had dropped drastically. In fact, I could see my breath coming out in puffs of air. How'd I not feel it before? I looked over my shoulder to see Michelle peering down at the unconscious Seica who was lain down on the floor in an uncomfortable position. "Help me." I said, picking up her arms, and Michelle picked up her legs and we laid her on the bed. Then Michelle dropped down beside Melissa and yanked part of the blanket towards her. Melissa allowed some of the blanket to be shared but wouldn't let go of the rest. I stared at the sight. Alen... Melissa... and Michelle, all three of them sitting next to each other against the wall by the side of the bed. There were no more pillows or blankets left. Ah, the cold didn't really bother me anyway.

"Saryl!" My eyes focused on Alen and I saw that he was holding out a necklace with the cross on it. I frowned. "Put this on the doorknob! ... please?" He added a second later.

"Why?"

"It will ward off the spirit." Alen said matter of factly.

"And since when were you such an expert about the supernatural?" I found myself crossing my arms and narrowing my eyes.

He faltered, "Well uh I believe in God and um even if you don't believe in Jesus I mean-"

"Whoa I never said I didn't believe in God."

"Then can you just..." He dangled the necklace in front of him. I stalked over to him but stopped myself from yanking it out of his hands. I was just angry he was too scared to do it himself but acted like he knew everything. Well he was always like that anyway. I gently pulled the chain away from his fingers and then walked over and slipped it onto the doorknob.

"So what's the plan?" Melissa said.

"We wait here until Mallarks mom gets here." Alen paused. "Oh my god... Mallark!"

I blinked. We had forgotten about Mallark. How wonderful. My mind felt numb and I was aware of a dull pain. I couldn't think properly. I gritted my teeth and tried to focus, because I could hear them talking, and my name came up more than once.

"So it's settled? You'll go?" Melissa said.

"Huh? Yeah..." I said, no idea what I was agreeing to.