Chapter 24: Pills and Rope

Thank you guys sooo much for 100 reads :)
*****
Laura

Monday morning was a drag. I had gotten less than 2 hours of sleep, and during the night I kept waking up drenched in sweat. I had to take a shower every time I woke up because of the amount of perspiration.

Let's just say showering 7 times in one night makes you lose your motivation to go back to sleep. So I decided to just pull an all nightier.

Bad desicion.

When I got to school, I had a surprise pop quiz in algebra, I'll admit not my finest moment.

To top it off, I hadn't seen Josh all day and Derek was eerily silent.

For most of Korean he was sitting, unmoving staring into to space. It was quite unnerving.

"psst!" I called to Derek.

No response.

"PSSST, Derek." I whisper yelled. He finally snapped his head up and looked at me.

"What is it sweet cheeks?" He asked concerned.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing." He said getting defensive.

"Clearly there's something on your mind, you've been acting like a zombie."

"I'll tell you what's wrong when you tell me what kind of trouble Josh is into."

"I don't know myself."

"We both know that's a lie."

"It's not my story to tell."

"Clearly it is! If you're in danger because of him then it's your story to tell. Aren't you tired of making excuses for him?"

I sighed. I was tired of making excuses for Josh. Especially when he would push me away and avoid me. I trusted Derek. If he wanted to know then I would be honest with him. Josh didn't even bother to show up today and explain his actions on Saturday, he only explained himself when it benefitted him.

"Now is not the time or place." I finally said.

"Fine then lunch." I shook my head.

"I've ditched Lola and Milo too many times."

"Ok, after school then." He said.

"Alright." I said leaning back in my chair.

Josh was messing with my head and my feelings. I was already scared shitless of Rothfort and Damon I didn't need Josh and his crazy mood swings icing me out. Derek was safe, and he was a friend I could confide in because I knew he could take care of himself. Josh ignoring me just irritated the fuck out of me and I was done moping.

He's crazy about me? I scoffed remembering Isaiah's words. Yea right Isaiah, feed your bullshit to someone else.
I shook my head just as the bell rang for lunch.

"Come with me." Derek said grabbing my hand. I threw him a questioning glance to which he only responded with a shrug.

"Milo and Lola are waiting for me." I said reminding him.

"It'll only take a minute." He said looking at my unconvinced face.

"I promise."  He said pulling my down the hallway. We walked past the main office heading towards third floor.

We finally stopped Infront of his locker as he punched in his combo and wrenched it open. He still hadn't detached our hands.

Feeling uncomfortable I gently pried my fingers out of his and rested them inside my pockets. He pulled out a white bag and thrust it in my direction.