Chapter 26: I Was An Asshole

*****
Josh

I was an asshole.

There was no way to work around it. It was true, I was an utter asshat. I avoided Laura in the hopes that I could come up with a coherent apology for my actions last Friday, I'm sure she was driving herself crazy trying to figure why I ran out on her. I was so frustrated. And people started noticing.

This was why no one fell in love. Why no one became attached, your loyalty was questioned and you were 'replaced'. All weekend I was working like a dog going from location to location doing Rothforts dirty work. When Monday finally rolled around I had to make a weapons delivery across the city, I got back around 7 pm and still hadn't talked to Laura. I was such shit at the whole boyfriend thing.

I knew it, and Laura knew it, but she still put up with me. I loved her for that.

I'd pushed her into a world full of guns and gangs and she hadn't even flinched. She took it on as a pro and just adapted to my lifestyle.

I wasn't going to lie to myself and imagine a different life where I'd leave the gang and we'd live happily ever after. Dead Road owned me, and they always would. There was no happy ending to this story and it would only end in heartache, but despite the cheesy bullshit I wanted a new life. I wanted to fight back and leave Dead Road. Laura made me want things I could have never even dreamed of wanting before.

She was changing me.

And honestly? I was tired of always doubting myself when it came to Laura. I'd iced her out so much I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't want to hear from me ever again. Nonetheless...

I finally grew some balls and texted her.

I waited 10 minutes.

And then another 10.

And then another 10.

Until finally I called her. It went straight to voicemail.

Is she really that pissed at me? I heaved a sigh as I was about to throw my phone on my bed when it suddenly rang. I quickly answered it.

"Munchkin." I said waiting for her to respond.

"No asshole it's Derek." I groaned as I rubbed my temples together.

"What do you want?" I said not even surprised that he knew my number.

"Laura's missing." He said. It took about half a second for me to react.

"What do you mean missing?" I said instantly alerted. I rushed out of the room in search of James and Ray.

"I mean, she was suppose to meet me after school but she never showed. Lola and Milo don't know where she is either and she didn't show up for her cello lessons. This has you written all over it Domique. Where is she?" He said accusingly.

"I don't fucking know! Where was the last place you saw her?" I asked entering Rays room. He looked up questioningly as I held up a finger and motioned for him to wait.

"At school, I've searched everywhere I could think of. She's gone."

I growled as I ran my fingers through my hair.

"I know where she is, just stay out and I'l-"

"No, I'm not sitting on the side lines. I'll meet you at the back of the school in 15 minutes, if you don't come I'll come find you, trust me I can be a real pain in the ass." He said ending the call.

Don't I know it.

I threw my phone at the wall as Ray looked at me alerted.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Laura's missing, and I know exactly who has her."

*****
15 minutes later I called James and April and told them to meet me at the back of the school. I saw Derek waiting by the mail post and I walked over to him glaring.

"How are you not freaking out? Laura could be being beaten or hurt and your just standing there ha-."

"I'm calm because thinking with emotion will get us no where. When we find her I'm going to rip out Harvey's throat. Keep calm and think rationally, if you can't do that then leave." I said using the same tone I would when instructing the gang on deliveries.

He stayed quite as I saw Joel, Sam, James, Isaiah, Ray and April walking towards us.

"I hope you know this is a trap." April said slightly bored. I nodded.

"I'm aware." I said turning to Ray.

"Ok we go in quick and easy. You take out Damon I take out Harvey, the rest of you know your positions. I'm going to have a talk with Ricardo about pairing up with Damon. He's the leader of the Rouges so he's more susceptible to listen to me versus anyone else. Joel and Isaiah your going to be the distraction. James you go ahead of us and take out the guards en route, Sam your my eyes and ears on what's happening with their communications, Ray I don't want you to kill Damon, bring him back to Dead Road, I'll talk to Ricardo. If anyone sees Renard, knock him out. He'll be expecting us. April and Derek you find Laura and bring her to Dead Road before all hell breaks loose. We good?" I said finishing my spiel.

"I'm only here, because I thought I would be going with James. I don't want to look for miss 'I can't even defend myself'." She said rolling her eyes.

"Look April if you don't want to be here leave, I can find her on my own I don't need nor want your help." I heard Derek say from behind me.

April finally noticed Derek and looked shocked for a moment. Something flickered in her eyes before it was quickly gone and she scowled.

"What are you her spoke person? Or more like her lap dog?" April said.

"Takes one to know one." Derek said matter of factly.

I put my fist in my mouth to keep from laughing. April however just stood there completely frozen staring at Derek.

They looked at each other for what seemed like an eternity, until I cleared my throat and they snapped their heads back to me.

Why do I get the feeling something might happen between these two. I groaned, I did not need another person I'd have to protect. I already have enough on my plate as it is.

I cleared my throat as I started walking towards the car.

"Now, let's go get my Munchkin." I said determination on my face.

Hold on Harvey, because here I fucking come.