Chapter 14: Presents and Green Eyes

****
Laura

School ended without much of a hitch. It was as boring as usual, no surprise ninjas popping out of the washrooms or vampire werewolf wars-at least not that I was aware of anyways.

Me and Josh decided it would be best if I called Rachel and told her I was sleeping at Lola's. That way if anything went...wrong, Rachel wouldn't know,nor worry. Getting Rachel to agree though was the real problem. My plea was filled with flattering, guilt tripping, and a whole lot of bullshit. It worked anyways, so I must have done something right.

"Yea...yea ok Rachel. Yea...I'll call I promise. I know...but the projects due tomorrow and we haven't started...yes I'll be more responsible next time...I know I'm still grounded...ok BYE." God she was so overprotective.

I never even got to tell Lola about our little "sleepover". I had to lie to her too. I didn't like it, secrets break relationships not strengthen them. But if this was the price I had to pay for keeping them safe I would.

"Hey, L wait up!" Lola stopped in the middle of the hallway and turned around.

"What the fuck Laur? Where were you at lunch? You didn't even answer my texts or any of my calls. You promis-". I cut her I was running out of time. I had to meet Josh in 5 minutes.

"I told Rachel I'm sleeping over at your house tonight to finish a project. Cover for me, I gotta go ok? Bye". I sputtered pushing past her running for the front doors.

"LAURA WHAT THE FUCK?" She yelled from behind me.

"MISS KEEN, MY OFFICE NOW". I heard Mr Chu say.

Shit! I got her in trouble. But what could I do? I had to meet Josh so we could get as much preparation time as possible. I continued speed walking outside, shooting Lola a text saying I would explain later.

She owed me from last year anyways. As I entered the parking lot I saw Josh waiting for me.

"Thank you for finally gracing me with your presence". He commented. I rolled my eyes.

"The cost of having a girlfriend. You don't like waiting? Find a girl who won't make you wait". I said sitting in his car.

"Very funny munchkin. You should be a damn comedian." I snorted.

"Lola actually said the opposite".

It grew quite in his car as we drove to his apartment, it was already 4:00pm. That gave us exactly 2 hours to prepare for what might happen. I didn't even know what I was going to wear.

Fuck, I don't have anything.

"Josh, I don't have a dress."

Silence.

I waited a beat.

And then another.

And then another.

"Rothfort sent one for you". I sucked in a breath. He sent one? What would it look like? This was not part of the plan.

"Can I just not wear it?" I pleaded.

"It will do more harm then good munchkin. Trust me it took all of my willpower not rip it up as soon as I saw it." I groaned as we pulled into to his apartments lot.

We entered as the elevator attendant pressed his floor and we waited.

I heard the ding of the elevator and me and Josh walked out. He grabbed his keys and unlocked the door. I walked in and dropped on his couch. I was so overwhelmed at that moment that I grabbed his arm pillow, put it against my mouth and released a string of cuss words.