Thirty One

January 1st, hospital

I prayed harder than i expected. Jin Hyuk came several hours later but none of the doctors came to us to tell how she was doing.
"I found her, on the ground," i told Jin Hyuk when he asked what had happened.
Jin Hyuk sighed heavily. Pacing back and forth, he was worried as much as i am. After hours of agony waiting, one of the doctors finally came out from the treatment room and asked,"May i know which one of you is her husband?"
"Im her husband!" both Jin Hyuk and I told the doctor at the same time. The doctor, well, was surprised. If the situation was a scene in a drama, most probably viewers might find it funny.
"Okay, um," the doctor looked hesitant and she gave us the details when Jin Hyuk and i wouldnt stop staring at her, awaiting for the news.
I fell back to my seat.
"But she's doing fine. Even if she would go on with the pregnancy, it is risky. An ectopic pregnancy could put her life in danger," the doctor explained,"Im sorry, but as a doctor myself, i wouldnt want to recommend it."
Jin Hyuk thanked the doctor and turned to me. He said,"Thank you. For saving her life."
Hyo Rin was transfered to a ward and i stayed in the room with Jin Hyuk. Hoping that she would wake up anytime soon. The sight of Jin Hyuk holding her hand, caressing her face as he spoke to her gently, felt like my heart was been sliced with a sushi knife a thousand times. I immediately knew who she would expect to see next to her when she woke up. I got out from the room, as quietly as i could and peered into the room through a small window at the door.
My heart swelled with happiness when i saw Hyo Rin woke up but she seemed to be waking up abruptly.
And i was right.
It was Jin Hyuk that her eyes were searching for and his name that she cried out for. I watched Jin Hyuk hugging her, most probably filing in the details what had happened. She was inconsolable. I noticed that Jin Hyuk was scanning the room, searching for me but i resisted the temptation of going back in. Gripping the door knob tightly, no. I had caused her so much pain. And at that very moment, i chose to leave.
I thanked the doctor for the help that she gave and when she asked me why i wouldnt want to stay and wait for her to wake up ;
I said,"She's in the hands of someone who will be giving her happiness throughout her whole life. I dont want to cause her any more pain. She deserves a much better reason to live and the reason is not me."
I left.
My brother called when i got into the car and i couldnt help it but to cry.
"What happened? Oh my goodness! Are you okay? Do you want us to come over?" My brother asked.
I told him not to as im on my way back to the city. He reminded me not to drive the car at this state, suggested me to stay for the night at his lodge.
No. The sooner i get back to the city, the better. My brother didnt know that the memories i had with Hyo Rin at the lodge was an unforgettable ones. For now, i didnt want to be reminded any of it.
I drove into the night, the music was blaring and the windows were rolled down, i lit a cigarette. I still could feel her warm body in arms when i scooped her up. I still could feel her on my chest. Immobile. It was almost the same as Eun Suh's lifeless body which i held onto. The blood stained on my sleeves made me broke down into tears once more.
Once i arrived home that morning, my brother and his family, together with my sister was waiting for me.
"Are you bleeding?" My sister shrieked when he saw the blood stained on my sleeves.
"No, im fine," i replied her weakly,"Im not hurt. Physically, at least."
"Then, where did the blood come from?" She asked again but my brother hushed her up.
"Is Hyo Rin okay?" My brother asked and i only could nod my head.
"But?"
"She had a miscarriage. It was an ectopic pregnancy," i said in a carefully controlled voice.
My sister and my sister in law gasped, all three of them were lost for words.
"I need some rest," i said to them and headed back to my room.
I laid in my bed, staring at the ceiling. Apparently no words could describe exactly how i felt at the moment. I searched the internet about ectopic pregnancy and the more i read about it, the sadder i felt.
Hyo Rin must be feeling very depressed, i thought to myself. Losing an unborn child was every mothers greatest fear. Hyo Rin just lost hers and i somehow hoped that she doesnt give up hope in living life after what had happened to her.
I silently prayed to God to give her happiness that she deserve and quietly, i asked Eun Suh what should i do now?
"Give her some time. Its not easy," i told myself.
My phone rang and i saw Jin Hyuk's number. Before i could greet him hello, he scolded me,"Why the fucking hell did you leave?"
"What?"
"Why did you leave?" He asked again,"I thought you'd stay."
"I wanted to, but, i just cant. I dont want to-"
"Cause her more pain? She had already been through a lot and when you were supposed to be there for her, you left?! At first i thought that you loved her as much as i do, probably more but with you leaving, it gives me the impression that you dont act like a man," Jin Hyuk said to me angrily,"Who would have thought that the sexy billionaire could be any more stupid for not being an oppurtunist? You dont even have the balls to help her to ride through her pain."
"Listen, Mr. Choi-"
"No, you listen. Im calling you because i want to tell you that you only have a week left before i go back to the UK," Jin Hyuk said quickly,"The other day i asked her whether she would want to join me but she havent give me any answer yet. You and i only got a week left. Im not forcing her to come over with me nor to stay. But i want you to take full advantage of this one whole week to find out who she truly loves. If she chooses you, i admit my defeat. If she chooses me, you've got to move on."
"I was only there for her when she needed someone. A shoulder to cry on, a friend who listens to her cries and worries. For years i have loved her and i still do love her," he added,"Im giving you the chance to try your best winning her heart once again. After that, its all up to her."
"Why are you doing this?" I asked.
"Because i dont want to have a one sided relationship. I just want to know who she really loves. Im afraid to know the answer as well but i dont want to be haunted by it for the rest of my life," he said.
Jin Hyuk hung up afterwards and his words left my mind buzzing.