Forty

January 9th.

I tossed and turned, unable to get some sleep. No wanting to wake Jin Hyuk up, I crept out from the room as quietly as possible and entered mine. It was almost completely empty. I was about to reach out for my phone which I had left on the dressing table earlier on when I heard a soft knock coming from the front door. I remained still for a moment just in case I might have misheard it. I hurriedly walked towards the door upon hearing a second knock and without thinking twice who it might be, I opened the door and standing just outside the door, holding a small black plastic bag with bruises that were black and blue on his face, making his eyes looked even smaller, Kim Jong Kook gave me his usual warm smile as a greeting.

"Thought that I might give you a farewell present before you leave," he said to me rather sadly.

"Do you want to go out for a walk?" I asked.

"But it's snowing outside!" he gasped.

"Well, knowing you well enough, I'm guessing you got an extra pair of winter jacket in your car," I said.

Reluctantly, he nodded and as I wrapped my scarf around my neck as we walked towards the elevator, I somehow noticed that he was limping. I couldn't help it but to start wondering how bad he was beaten up earlier on. The sound of the soft crunching of the snow beneath our feet as we head out towards his car which was parked beneath a tree near the kids' play station was the only thing that was heard.

"If it's too cold, let me know," he said as he helped me to put on his large winter racket.

I nodded, "Thanks."

We settled down at the picnic table and I purposely took a few deep breaths, inhaling his sweet body scent on his jacket.

"I bought it just now and I think they're already stone cold," he said, shrugging and honestly, his farewell gift was something unexpected; steamed sweet potatoes wrapped in cooking foils.

"But it won't taste bad, I promise," he said, handing me one.

"I wanted to give it to you straight away but when I saw the light in your room was off, I assumed that you had already slept," Kim Jong Kook said, with his mouth full, "Texted you and waited, until I fell asleep in the car."

"Why didn't you come up straight away?" I asked, slightly annoyed, "You should have come up straightaway."

"Ah, well," he shrugged, "I didn't want to disturb you."

"So, you were willing to wait outside, in the cold?" I asked him in great annoyance and I didn't even bother trying to hide it from him.

He looked slightly taken aback and he said quickly, "Well, yes! I was in my car, left the engine running."

"So, you're going to wait? Instead of coming to me straight away?" I asked again.

"If that's what I need to do, yes!" Kim Jong Kook replied angrily.

"What if I'm not there? What are you going to do? Are you still going to wait for me?"

Without ourselves realising it, the both of us were already on our feet, standing facing each other.

"If that's what I need to do; yes," Kim Jong Kook said, "As much as I enjoy chasing after you, but right now, waiting is my only option. I don't want to make you feel burden, making unnecessary choices."

"What the fuck! What kind of unnecessary choices?" I asked angrily.

"Like staying with me," he replied sadly, "Because of me, you had to quit your job. Because of me, you had gone through so much pain and I wasn't manly enough to stay by your side. I left the moment your grandfather's henchmen beat me up and only came back after they had left. That's why waiting for you is my only option now. If one day you ever come back, I'll be there."