Thirty Three

January 5th

"What are you doing?"
A small grunt followed by an annoyed groan was heard and she replied,"I was playing tennis and i kicked Trump's ass and i had two cocktails with Jude Law."
"You dreamt of Trump and Jude Law at the same time?" I asked, couldnt help myself but to chuckled,"I guess Jude Law played a significant role in your dream. He probably turned you on."
I heard her laughter and she said,"Mr. Kim Jong Kook, may i ask why are you calling me at this hour?"
"Can you come down?" I asked, fiddling with my keys nervously,"I have something for you."
A long silence.
"Hang on," she said before hanging up.
I waited for her at the front of the lobby and as soon as i heard the elevator pinged, she stepped out. Wearing some mismatched clothes underneath her thick baby blue sweater.
"I sneak out," Hyo Rin said a little breatheless.
Heh. Good girl.
"What is it that you want to show me?" She asked, shivering slightly.
"That, im afraid you have to come with me in order to see it. If you dont mind, of course," I said to her.
Hyo Rin hesitated for a moment before she finally said,"Okay then. But i hope it wont take long. Im not dressed to withstand the cold at this hour."
"Im sure you'll be warm enough once you'll see what i had," i said cheerfully as we both walked to my car,"At first i thought that you're going to say no."
"I was planning to go out for a walk in the morning myself but since you called, i'll just go with it. Why not?" Hyo Rin replied. I couldnt help it but to notice her kept looking back at the back seat and i smiled, and said,"Thats for later."
"What is it?" She asked.
"You'll see," i replied.
She looked slightly cheerful after i met her earlier yesterday, although slightly pale and still looking weak. We made our way into the night, making a few left turns and lastly a right turn, heading towards the edge of the city where i used to go when i was still a kid.
I found that the place was still open for public yesterday and after a long persuasions with the owner of the restaurant, he eventually agreed on letting me renting the entire rink for the night.
"What the-"
Hyo Rin stepped out from the car and the moment she realised that i had just brought her to an open ice skating rink, she looked over at me and said,"Ice skating? At 1.30a.m.?"
"Is there a problem?" I asked, bringing two brown bags out from the car with me.
"Im not properly dressed for the temperature," she said,"For ice skating."
"Dont fret," i said to her, taking out an overlarge winter coat which i never wore and handed it over to her.
Obligingly, she wore it with any hesitation.
"Ah, i never thought it would be too big for you," i said apologetically.
"Thats okay. Its warm enough," she said quickly, hugging herself.
I wrapped a woolen shawl around her neck loosely and was tempted to laugh at the sight of her. Mismatched clothes and with an oversize winter coat and a shawl around her neck, she looked like a little kid who just got lost in the wardrobe.
"I look funny," she eyed me suspiciously, perhaps she had noticed the corner of my mouth was twitching.
Thank heavens she had once told me the size of her shoes and i took the liberty to shop for her one ice skates. Half hoping that it wont be too tight as i watched her sat on the bench, putting on the ice skates.
I couldnt help it but to notice her hands were slightly trembling and i bent over to help her tying up the laces firmly.
"Are you alright?" I asked, looking up at her.
"Yes, im fine. Ive never skate before, thats all," Hyo Rin replied casually.
"Dont worry. It'll be easy," i said reassuringly,"Come."
She took my hand and hold onto me tight as we both entered the rink. One hand was holding onto mine while the other, was holding onto the side of the rink.
"Hyo Rin, you need to let go," i said to her.
"What? And fall onto my face?" She said,"No thank you."
I just had to laugh. With her knees bend inwards, she seemed to be struggling to find her balance and slipped slightly each time she tried to straightened herself up.
"If you dont let go of your other hand, you wont be able to stand properly," i said to her finally,"Just let go and hold onto me. Trust me. Im not going to let go of you."
Hyo Rin's eyes met mine and eventually, she let go of and both of her hands were firmly grasped onto mine.
I aimed to get to the center of the rink but with Hyo Rin looking terrified at each step she took, we barely moved an inch. I moved around her, standing closely behind her, holding onto her shoulders and said,"Just go with it."
"I never knew ice skating would be so hard," she said, almost whining.
"Actually, its easy. Its the fear of falling thats preventing you to move forward," i said to her,"Dont be scared. I'll be right here."
Hyo Rin scoffed,"For one moment, i thought you were talking about something else."
Yes. I was, actually. I would never going to let you go again. Not this time.
Eventually, we finally had reached the center and she decided to try to skate on her own.
When she slowly let go of my hand, what i had fear the most came over me. It felt different, even though it was just ice skating.
She managed to skate a little and i rushed toward her to assist her from falling. Grasping onto her shoulders, i let her go once again and in just half an hour, Hyo Rin had finally managed to skate around me. Pink the face, she skate in circles around me happily as i watched her.
"Are you going to stand there and watch me skate in circles all night?" She asked, stopping in front of me, breathless.
"Come on," she said to me sweetly,"You're the one who brought me here. Why wont you skate?"
Lost the battle of her persuasion, she took me by the hand and we skate around the rink where only her laughter filled the air. Even the winter breeze that came upon us didnt falter her spirits of her knew found skills.
This time, it was i who let go of her hand and watched her from a far. She turned back and came up to me asking whats wrong.
"Nothing," i replied with a smile.
"Are you cold?" Hyo Rin asked, looking concerned and took off the shawl around her neck and i stopped her from wrapping it around mine.
"Im not cold. Im okay. Its just that i- When you hold onto my hand so that you wont fall and when you finally let go of me after you have manage to do it alone, felt weird. As if like you dont need me anymore," i said without thinking and she looked confused.
I am so not good with words, i thought privately to myself.
"This is isnt about skating, isnt it?" She asked,"Alright, soldier. What is it?"
I took a very deep breath and said,"What i said earlier, i mean it. Holding onto to you not just momentarily but i would like to do it for the rest of my life. And when you slowly let go of my hand, i couldnt help it but to feel hurt. I once, was a foolish man who wasnt there for you at the times when you needed me the most. Right now, im in a desperate search for the old Hyo Rin beneath those sad eyes. And then i realised that you were there, i saw the old you when you let go of my hand. It felt weird, somehow. Im sorry. All i want to say is that even though its going to take me a lifetime to make you happy once again, i will do it. As long as it doesnt require me to let go of you, not even momentarily. I had once let go of someone whom i loved dearly and this time i wont be repeating the same mistake."