Christmas Tragedies (Cisco's POV)

Cisco

My heart went cold at the sound of his voice. How did he get here? How'd he know we were here? I glanced towards Bette who was curled in the corner of the sofa. Of course. They had followed her... Fear was creeping all over me as I searched my brain for a way out of this. Oh, come on! It's Christmas! This should not be an issue for us right now!

My hands felt cold and empty as Leah removed herself from my embrace. I watched as she quickly made her way over to Ronnie and placed her hands on his shoulders.

"They're here for you!" Her voice was laced with concern and fear. The sound matched the feeling that settled deep in my stomach. I could've hurled at the moment if I wanted to. "We have to get you out of here, now."

"You guys can go the backway!" Mrs. Stein suggested, pushing Leah and Ronnie towards the backdoor.

"W-wait," Leah reached over and grabbed my arm but I took it back. She looked up at me, her eyes brimming with tears and wide with terror.

"It's okay," I whispered reassuringly, taking her face in my hands. "We'll all be right behind you, okay? Take Ronnie, Bette, Stein, and Barry with you, got it? He wants the metahumans, not us normal people."

"Plastique," she said with a shaky breath.

"What?"

She tried to laugh but it came out much more nervous than she attended. She held onto the hands I had placed on her face as she explained, "Plastique. That's Bette's metahuman name... if you like it. Since she blows things up."

I couldn't stop the laughter. We were in danger and she was taking the time to give metahumans their respectable superhero names. "I love you," I told her. This time I had meant to say it, because I love her more than anything, and the fact that she's so much like me and she just gets me made me realize that.

My heart jumped in my chest as she whispered, "I love you, too."

Not just love; in love. I had told her I love her as a friend before, but this was much more different. I was so in love, it hurt.

"I'm not leaving you," Ronnie growled, holding onto Caitlin tightly.

Caitlin stood on her tip toes to give him a quick kiss on the cheek. "Go. Watch over your twin, make sure she's safe, too." Ronnie's shoulders stiffened then and I knew he had also been defeated. If Caitlin wasn't his weakness, then it was Leah.

I watched with an aching heart as they headed out the back door. Please, don't let this be the last time I see her. As soon as they were out of sight, I led the way out the door. I couldn't see much in front of me with the blinding lights but I held my hands above my head and stepped forward. I was hoping they couldn't see that my hands were trembling in fear. Please, let Leah get away from here. As soon as I made it off the front porch and stepped into the snow, I was knocked onto my knees, feeling the freezing powder start to soak my jeans. My breath was visible in the chilly air and my teeth chattered but not only because it was cold.