thirty-three 33 : dark no more

JB and Miyoung reached a small neighbourhood area, where he felt would be safe to walk around unmasked and hopefully unrecognised. Taking off his hat, he got out of the car to go around it to open her door.

She smiled, stepped out, and looked around. It was a tranquil area that was one with nature, overlooking a small lake. Behind them were simple shops which looked like everyone would know anyone.

"Do you come by often?" she asked.

"Well, I used to live here." he said with a smile. "Come, let me show you around."

As he held her hand, he was amazed again at how small and supple it was, much unlike any of the model's hands which were long and slender that fit with his. Hers felt like one he didn't want to let go, and instinctively brought out his protective side.

He walked her over to a small stall where only 3 seats were facing an old man preparing some food.

"Ah, you finally came." the old man said, with a wrinkled smile that twinkled as eh looked at JB, "Oh!" he exclaimed softly when he saw Miyoung enter behind him. Immediately, his face brightened and he put on the glasses that hung around his neck by a thin chain.

JB introduced her as 'Miyoung' much to the mockery of the older man, "you mean your GIRLFRIEND, Miyoung, isn't it?"

"Cut it out Uncle," JB bashfully replied. "Oh, he's my uncle." He quickly introduced.

As it were, JB was from the small town and ever since he had gotten a name carved out for himself, he had often sent crates of city goods back to his Uncle, for the village folk. He hardly had the time to visit them himself but when he did, he made sure he never came empty handed, except for this visit.

"Sorry, I couldn't bring anything this time." he said, "and I can't stay too long either, as you know, commotion is unnecessary." motioning to Miyoung.

He elder took off his glasses and smiled, "You've already brought us more than enough, and besides, she's what we've been waiting for."

He turned to Miyoung, "young lady, this young man has got lots of shortcomings and a temper like a volcano. He's just a big boy inside this handsome face and muscles, you know that don't you?"

She laughed as she watched JB's jaw drop in horror.

"Don't worry JB's Uncle, he's in good hands." she winked, much to his delight. Watching their interaction and friendly banter only made her more curious of where his family was. She never asked Jr since they were supposed to be at loggerheads and figured it was something she would rather talk about with JB himself.

Just as they had finished their meal, JB stepped into the wash area to clean up after themselves.

She watched him as he started washing the utensils, much like he used to work there.

"Did you grow up here, in this town?" she asked.

Nonchalantly he nodded, "Um-hmm, until I was 18."

"Wow, then your family must all be here then? I never knew you had such a childhood... you looked like you were born with a silver spoon, with highly educated siblings and high flying parents." She laughed.

"Well, that's half true actually, the part about the silver spoon." He looked up at her, turning a little stiff all of a sudden.

His uncle who was standing nearby, decided to leave them to themselves, as he went out of the little stall for a breather.

"What does that mean, JB?" she asked with slight concern in her tone.

He took off the washing gloves, cleaned his hands and sat down beside her.