sixteen 16 : 'I was stupid'.

Mark had been up all night, waiting anxiously for your call. He hadn't felt so unsettled like this in a long time and the feeling ate him from the inside. Frustration was probably the mildest word that could describe how he felt. He was in disbelief that you reacted so strongly to what seemed like something you usually would brush off magnanimously. He decided to give a call to Jackson, the 'culprit'.

M: Hey Jackson.
J: Uh, Mark? What's up.... its like... 1am?
M: Yeah I know, and erm sorry about that but I had to clear up the air about something.
J: Sure, go ahead.. (sleepily)
M: What exactly did you send Mandy today?
J: HUH? Did you wake me up at 1am just to ask me this??
M: Just what was it that she saw, Jackson, it's important.
J: Can I just forward it to you right now?? (annoyed)
M: That be great, thanks Jackson. Sorry about that.
J: Uh~ alright then goodnight - hangs up abruptly.

(Mark's phone rings)

He opens the screenshot of their conversation and sees the video. Tapping into the video from Jackson, he saw himself, at the pantry, talking with the 2 female colleagues. It seemed pretty normal to him since it wasn't the first time they were hitting on him. They weren't even the only ones that day.

Then he saw them cling onto him and how he was smiling, while they continued to hold on one on each arm.

Mark: Hajima~~
Girl 1: Eyyy what's the matter? You don't like us? (whines and pouts at him)
Girl 2: Oppa, your arm is so muscular omg!!! (starts touching him all over)
Mark: Okay, okay, chill ladies!! We're in an office, please control yourself.
Girls: But you said you're single right? So do you like us?
Mark: I'm sorry ladies, but I do have someone in mind.....
Girls: Who's she? Tell us, is it someone from the office??? Is it Mandy??

Mark at this point flinched a little and hesitated, but he knew all too well that they were just mindless gossipy girls that wouldn't do any good even if he spilled the truth. So he chose to say otherwise, partly to protect your privacy as well.

Mark: We're close friends, don't bother asking, I'm not telling.

(Smiles and walks off)

Mark was utterly clueless at this point as to why you would react so strongly to that. He mentally analysed every possible scenario and scanned through every person on his contact list that could have contacted you unnecessarily. He even went into all your personal sites just to be sure, but there wasn't anything. You always maintained a strict distance at work and hence none of the co-workers were really on a first-name friendly basis to you except for Mark. The curiosity in him was burning up his brains and he hated every minute that you weren't talking to him. He decided that this wouldn't do. He took a bath and got into a fresh set of clothes, and drove to wait for you at your door - just like what foolish drama men did. He knew it was going to be a long night but he couldn't take it lying down.

It was 3am, you had fallen asleep in JR's house by his couch, even though he had tucked you into bed. He briefly awoke wanting to check on you, only to realise you were right at his side, sleeping upright on the carpet, with your head rested near his chest. He smiled in surprise and wondered if it was because you were lonely.

Stroking your hair gently, he could hardly believe what luck he had found himself in - it was you, the girl he had the longest crush on in school, the only one that shared your lunches with him when he was sick, when even JB refused to play with him, it was you who was always bright and cheerful, kind to him. All through school years, he felt he wasn't good enough for you, and the boys were always talking about you and challenging each other to see who could get you. He was never even in 'consideration' for his geeky scrawny appearance.

Seeing you again after 10 long years, you never changed a single bit but only became more confident and mature, but this time JR had found his self confidence, and believed if he was persistent enough, you would see his heart.