Chapter 1

A/N; this fan fiction is a bit cheesy, sorry but I find it really cute and I like it. sorry if you find it too cheesy!

enjoy!! x

"Why are you assuming that the only way to get a well paying job is through going to college?" I tried to keep my tone level, but you can tell the frustration dripping from my tone.

I slipped my feet into my black slip on vans, glancing back up at my mom. "I'm bar tending for now, it makes extremely good tips and I will figure out from there what i'm doing"

"Brooklynn, you know all your father and I have done was try to drill it into your thick skull that college is a priority in this household," Mom seethed, slamming the mail down onto the counter in front of her for emphasis. "college is supposed to be where you get on track to a career, and even find a man and settle down with him. You know that's how I met your father."

I shut my eyes momentarily, trying to take a deep breath to ease the rage that I felt increasing. "Mom, you know that I don't follow down the path that everyone else follows down," I pulled my freshly straightened brown hair into a high ponytail. " everyone else goes to college, finds someone to marry and gets a good paying job. That's just not enough for me. I want to go down my own road. It's not that easy to find a guy nowadays. Yes I want to wait until I find the right guy, but i'm also not here to cater to a male; can't you just accept my decisions?"

"Brooke you know that's how you fail in-"

I scoffed, cutting my mother off before she could even finish letting the words roll from her mouth. "I don't want to hear you tell me how to and not to fail. Yes you met dad in college but now you guys are divorced so where did that lead you?"

The words tumbled from my mouth before I could take them back, the reaction on her face was more than enough to create a feeling of guilt.

Mom placed her hands down upon the counter, taking a deep breath in, and an even harder sigh out. "I'm sorry that i want more for my daughter than her dressing up in tight black clothes and serving alcohol to privileged, misogynistic men!"

I took a brief glance down to my uniform before looking back up at her. "I'm sorry, do you want me to dress in rainbow colored clothes and have my hair in pigtails? This is a uniform mom, I don't choose what and what not to wear. I'm sorry but I need to leave now, I don't want to be late,"

"If you had your license, you could drive yourself to your job," Mom huffed, taking her eyes off me to walk over to the fridge.

I snatched my phone off the counter, ignoring her comment. "I found an apartment closer to my job, I'll be moving in soon,"

I unlocked my phone, composing a new text.

To; Tayy

sorry for running late, but i'm ready

I hit lock on my phone, looking down to straighten out my black shirt before walking towards the front door.

"You're renting an apartment? With what money?!" She laughed, brushing her blonde hair out of her face, a hand on her hip as she raised her eyebrows at me.

I raised an eyebrow back, stepping out of the house. "How do you know how much i've saved?!" I shouted, shutting the door behind me, not wanting to hear her anymore.

I let out a long, exaggerated sigh, sitting down on the front step. It's exhausting fighting with the one person you wish could just have your back.

The warm summer air hit my skin, making a thin layer of sweat gather up on the back of my neck.

Minutes passed before the familiar silver car stopped in my driveway.