Chapter 23

so the song for this chapter is Say Something by A Great Big World featuring Christina Aguilera. I attached the link to the side so listen to that now while reading!

he was special

he was different from the others

at least, that's what I thought.

he isn't,

he was worse than them.

Harry's POV

I brought my phone up to my ear, the annoying, pitchy ring pouncing in my eardrum.

I gnawed at my finger nail, anxiously waiting for Brooke to answer.

After seven rings, to be exact, I went to hang up, when the ringing disappeared.

My eyebrows furrowed together as I placed the phone at my ear again.

I didn't hear anyone speaking but I heard ruffling around, and a small huff before it went silent.

"Brooke?" I practically breathed out, my breath hitching in my throat.

"Y-Yeah?" she whispered, emotion that I couldn't detect was drenched in her tone.

My heart thumbed vigorously in my chest, rattling my rib cage.

I nervously picked at the hem of the black jeans that hugged my legs firmly. "Hi,"

"Hi," her voice was eerily calm, almost way too put together.

"How are you?" I slowly interrogated, unsure on what to say.

I should of planned this through.

"Harry you can't do that," Brooke snapped, her tone was as cold as winter in New York.

I raised an eyebrow, although I was well aware that she couldn't see me. "Can't do what?"

"You can't just say what you said to me, drop all contact with me for three weeks and then call me up like nothing happened," she barked, her words slapping me in the face rougher than the wind did a few minutes ago.

I licked my dry lips, rubbing the back of my neck with my clammy hand. "I... I know, I'm sorry,"

She let out a soft scoff, but didn't reply.

We sat in silence for a while, neither one of us dared to speak.

"Harry could I ask you something?" Brooke desperately pleaded.

I nodded, despite she wasn't here to acknowledge that I heard her. "Yeah, sure, anything,"

I had to bit my tongue, to keep from calling her baby or babe out of habit.

She inhaled in a deliberate sigh, before her emotional voice wafted through my ears. "Tell me you don't love me. Tell me you don't need me,"

My heart cracked, and my breath grew thick in my constricting chest. "I-I already told you that, in the airport, didn't I?" I coolly replied, swallowing back the lump in my throat.

"Yes. But I need to be reassured you mean it. Tell me it Harry, tell me it so I could move on," she basically sobbed out.

I squeezed my eyes shut, digging my nails into the palm of my hand.