04; you shoudn't be hiding

a/n: I don't know what's about to happen in this chapter and I'm a bit nervous because I just randomly came up with the title so um yah. oh btw if u like eighties/nineties accounts on insta u should like totally follow mine @greaser.gal. lots of love, ash❤️❤️

It had been a week. The darkness of my bedroom surrounding me for the fifth day. What a great summer don't ya think. I sighed inwardly as my Beach Boys record kept spinning but wasn't playing. I was to lazy to start the record over again.

"Amelia!" my Grandpa knocked at the door.

"Come in" I mumbled and he pushed it open.

"What are you doing, I was expecting you to play baseball all week but you just have been in here moping around" he said and I shrugged my shoulders as I threw my baseball at my laundry hamper landing in it perfectly.

"I like it in here, the darkness helps heal my black eye" I said and he rolled his eyes sitting at the end of my bed.

"Your Dad called" he said.

"Yeah what about it?" I asked. My dad always called. He rarely talked to me but when he did he bought me something new to make up for the time we spent apart but it didn't make up for anything.

"He is coming to visit soon" he said and I laughed.

"Yeah in like what, a year" I said.

"I told him about you coming home with injuries a lot, this is the worst I ever saw you come home and he is worried so he is gonna come down next week" he told me and I stood up.

"Yeah well I'm fine so tell him not to bother, now can I be alone" I said opening the door and he sighed and stood up leaving the room as I shut the door. I went to plop down back on my bed but I heard knocking again.

"Ugh what do you want?" I asked opening the door but no one was there. The knocking continued and I looked towards my window. I opened up the curtains to see Benny and Smalls seated on the roof. I slid open the window and walked back to my bed without a word.

"You shouldn't be hiding" Benny immediately said and I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

"I'm not hiding, I'm being lazy" I said and he grabbed my arms and pulled me up.

"We'll get over your laziness and let's go play some baseball, we were expecting you back by now but when you didn't show we came looking for you. All the boys are downstairs" he said dragging me towards the window.

"Wait! Benny you go down and I will talk to her" Smalls said and he looked between us before sighing and mumbling something as he left the window.

"He's jealous you know" Smalls said and I turned to him my heart rate accelerating but I pushed it off as its never true. It never will be.

"Yah of what, the fact that I can stay in a room all day without being kicked out into the sun by my parents" I said sitting on the end of my bed and he rolled his eyes.

"No. Of our friendship as of late. You know we're closer now that I have been let in on your secret and it's painfully obvious that bothers him" he said sitting next to me.

"Well thanks for the cheer up but I know it's lies, I'll meet you downstairs. If you come downstairs with me my Grandpa would be real confused" I said and he nodded as he got up and went out the window. I dressed in shorts and a t-shirt with my old black converse to play some ball.

"I'm going out" I yelled out the door as I left. I'm sure my Grandpa would be confused at my sudden change of heart but he could get over it. All the boys sat on the sidewalk or were throwing a ball in the street in front of my place.

"Kay guys I got an hour before work so let's play some ball" I said throwing my arm over Smalls shoulders and we walked down the street.

The game lasted the hour I needed and I was glad to get outside. Benny was a bit distant but I just think it was my overthinking mind because of how hopelessly in love with him I am.

"Kay I gotta get to work" I said grabbing my stuff and going to walk away before I could get stopped.

"Wait" Dammit spoke to soon.

"Yah?" I asked as I turned to look at Benny.

"Can I ask you something?" he asked. Stop it heart before I have a heart attack.

"Can we talk later, one more minute and I'm gonna be late" I quickly said and before he could reply I jogged out. Once I got home I showered and got in my uniform and put my hair in two French braids before running to my car.

"Don't wait up!" I yelled to my Grandpa as he waved goodbye to me on the porch. I hurried to work before switching shifts with the kid already behind the counter.

"Sorry I'm late" I apologized as he left with a scowl on his face. If I only didn't play ball I wouldn't have this problem.

"Hi how may I help you?" I asked a man and woman who walked up to the counter. About 22 still young and probably going to make out in the back of the theater. That's what I did. I analyzed everyone that came in.

"Uh one large popcorn and some coke" he spoke and I quickly got what he asked and brought it to the counter.

"Enjoy your movie" I said and he nodded and waved his hand at me for the other was occupied laying over the girls shoulders that already had a sweater hanging from em. I went to restock the popcorn when I heard the bell go off at the counter.

"Be right with you" I said as I continued stocking the popcorn.

"Benny?" I asked once I turned around and he smiled.

"You said we would talk later and well, it's later" he smirked and I rolled my eyes wiping the counter.

"Okay fine, talk" I ordered and he leaned on his elbows.

"I just wanted to ask, this might be um weird. Uh what's going on between you and Smalls?" he asked bringing his hand to the back of his neck and I nearly choked on my spit.

"Oh my God ew. Smalls is my best friend and nothing more. Ew what ah oh my God, Smalls is like my brother" I rambled and he chuckled at my reaction and I glared at him.

"Why does it matter anyway?" I asked and he stopped laughing. He thought for a minute before looking down.

"I really don't know" he said and I sighed. I was hoping for something more along the lines of. Because I love you or I didn't want him to get to my girl. Oh my God. The day he refers to me as my girl would be the day I die.

"Okay well cool" I said and he nodded.

"Yah um see you tomorrow" he started to back away from the counter.

"Okay" I mumbled and he turned and left. I grabbed the broom and dustpan to head into the theater and sweep some popcorn. The second I walked in I saw the couple making out in the back.

Called it.