High School Heaven: Nathan

"This One's For You" by Of Mice & Men began to play causing my eyes to snap open. I groaned and slammed my hand down on my alarm clock. I stared around my room and yawned as I rolled out of bed. I sat there for a minute trying to wake up. Finally, I stood up and  I shook out my hair as I walked into my bathroom, wincing as I turned on the light. “It’s way too early”, I thought as I grabbed my toothbrush and began to brush my teeth.

            After I was done brushing my teeth, I hopped in the shower. The warm water rained on my body and helped me wake up. Once I was done, I climbed out of the shower and dried off. Then, I threw on my favorite pair of blue skinny jeans with a white tank top and gladiator sandals. Then, I straightened my hair and put it in a high ponytail with my bangs hanging in front of my face. I looked in the mirror and sighed. “I hate school”, I said.

             I walked downstairs to eat breakfast and I found my dad sitting at the table reading the newspaper. “Good morning, Olivia”, he said as I sat down.

            “Good morning, dad”, I replied.

            He looked up at me and smiled. “You look beautiful.”

            “What”, I scoffed. “I just woke up and I literally threw on the first things I saw. I look like crap. I even forgot to put on make-up.” I frowned at my realization of wearing no make-up.

            “Are you excited for your first day at your new school”, Amy, my step-mom, said as she placed a plate of pancakes in front of me.

            “No”, I said as I took a sip of my chocolate milk. “No one ever likes the new girl.”

            “Sure they do”, Amy said as she tried to reassure me.

            “She’s right”, my dad said. “They’ll love you, I promise. But, if you want, you can stay home for today.”

That’s one thing I love about my parents. They don’t care if I skip school or not.

            “No”, I said as I finished up my breakfast. “I should go and start meeting everyone.”

            “That’s right”, my dad replied. “You should start getting friends instead of acting sad over going to a new school.”

I rolled my eyes at him and smiled. “Bye, dad”, I said as I stood up. “Bye, Amy.”

“Bye, sweetie”, Amy replied as I left the room. “Be friendly, okay? Maybe, you’ll meet a boy.” I blushed a little at her last sentence and continued walking to the door.

 I grabbed my backpack, before walking outside to my car. I unlocked my black Honda Pilot and climbed in. I instantly flipped on the radio and turned to my favorite rock station.

“Maybe I know somewhere deep in my soul that love never lasts. And we've got to find other ways to make it alone…” I sang along to Paramore’s “Only Exception” as I pulled out of my driveway.