Face, not Chase

C h a p t e r 2 2

"What time have you finished your homework?" Aunt Crissa asked before taking her first gargle.

"Uhm... I can't remember." I answered, taking a spoonful of cereals while reading the back of the cereal box.

She stopped with her work and asked another question. "Well, what time did you sleep?"

I haven't. "Around three." I lied.

"And Chase?" Aunt Crissa suddenly questioned, where I felt the cereals I just gulped to bob out of my throat.

What's that about?

She took a cup of espresso from the machine, then emerged from the kitchenette before sitting down across the table, in front of me. I lowered the box, just enough to see her face. For, as I think felt like, a nanosecond had passed just by staring awkwardly with each other, she let out a frivolous laugh and took a sip from her hot brewed coffee.

"I'm joking!" She cackled, as I let out the fakest laugh I could make.

"That's not even funny." I shook my head, and covered my face back with the box.

Let's face it, we all have that attitude where we try to hide something from whoever is in front of us, on something they should not see. Dare to say, no. And believe it or not, I just got a zit on my left cheek.

"Nikki, is there something wrong?" Aunt Crissa cuts through my thoughts.

I gradually shook my head, and spontaneously voiced out a response, after gazing the box I was holding. "I'm only reading the back of the box. It has a maze.

"Reading a maze?" She questioned with her eyebrows quirked up in confusion.

"Yeah."

I was abstracted, and all that had been going on in my mind was nothing but putting myself back in bed. My eyelids were closing on their own, and I couldn't tell if I really was eating with the milk and cereal escaping the spoon, before it even reached my mouth.

God, I'm so overly tired...

"Well, what does it say?" She probed, extending her hand to get a slice of bread.

What does Chase say?

So my mind might be in for a sleep, however, I would be lying if I said there wasn't a part of it where I could find Chase. As a matter of fact, the thought of him already conquered half of my brain.

"It's complicated." I slurred.

"Never try to read a maze." Aunt Crissa shrugged, standing up with her cup and saucer.

She vanished on my sight when she entered the kitchen, immersing the two porcelain pairs on the sink.

"Where are you going?" I asked, raking my eyes over to her as she made her way to the staircase.

"Just gonna spend the whole day in my room. You know, it's what I always do." She announced, pulling up her long pj's to avoid them from being stepped in as she made her way up to the plight of stairs.

I envy you...

"Oh, okay." I shrugged, tilting my head back around as I took my surprisingly last spoon of cereal.

"Don't forget your car keys, I left them somewhere in the living room!" She reminded as her voice faded in every step she took to her room, which was my grandparents' room.

I stood up and drown the plate I used in the sink as I swallowed down a glass of water. Sauntering out of the kitchen, I placed the empty glassware on top of the uncleaned table with cream coloured place mats.