Chapter 24: Long Time Coming

"Oy Berry! Stop hovering over the pot, it's not done!" He had finished setting the table and walked over to the gas stove.

She pouted and replied, "But it smells so good!"

"Rach." He warned.

"Come on, a little taste test wouldn't hurt anyone." And she brought the ladle to her mouth.

"Ray ray." He called out of habit. "Come on, what happened to good things to people that wait?" He said as he put his hand over hers.

FLASHBACK.

"And so even if you don't get a callback, you still lift your head up and smile?" He was amazed at how strong she could be.

"Well, yeah. Because it's normal for people to reject you all the time. If you've got talent, then there's no way that it'll go unnoticed. It's like the lyrics to one of my all time favorite songs, Maybe This Time." Then Rachel opened her mouth and began to sing.

Everybody loves a winner

So nobody loved me

Lady peaceful, lady happy

Thats what I long to be

All of the odds are, they're in my favor

Something's bound to begin

It's gonna happen

Happen sometime

Maybe this time, I'll win

"Wow Rach, you're just the little daredevil aren't you?" He gave her a small smile. He was blown away by the power of her voice, it was just so intensifying, and the way she controlled the room, he held a whole new level of respect for his girl after hearing her sing like that.

She ducked her head into his chest, attempting to hide away from the embarrassment.

"Well, anyway, my daddy always told me that good things come to people who wait. So I just choose never to give anything up." She replied shyly.

He lifted her face by the chin and said, "Well, my mom used to say that good things come in small packages and I never got that." He leaned in until their foreheads met. Then he whispered just before he laid a kiss on her, "At least, not until I saw you."

Rachel could feel her pulse rising with his sudden touch. Before she could react, Kurt walked into the room and Finn yanked his hand off her before Kurt saw anything fishy.

As Kurt entered the kitchen, he saw that Finn and Rachel were standing beside each other and he smiled with delight. If it weren't for his demanding stomach, he would have given them more time alone.

"So, what have we here?" He asked as he sat down at the table.

"Uh, the pasta's almost done. You could start on salad first though, Rachel, bring the dressing out so you two could start. I'll be there in a second."

She walked towards the table, disappointed that their moment was so short lived. Hang in there Berry, this is only temporary, DO NOT GIVE UP, she told herself.

It was nearly 1 in the morning when Finn decided to make himself a late night snack. He heated up the entire carton of milk and made his way to the living room. As he was flipping through the TV channels, he came across Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He smiled with delight when one of his favorite films started playing before his eyes.

Rachel tiptoed down the stairs. She couldn't go back to sleep, not after dinner. All night, she had been so distracted thinking about Finn, much to Kurt's annoyance that he ignored her and fell asleep after his bath.