Chapter 32

Lapis' eyes shot open at the sound of shuffling coming from the foot of her bed. Slowly, she lifted herself onto her elbow and peered down at Peridot's makeshift bed. The small blonde was still asleep but was tossing around in her bed. The blankets were strewn over her legs, one of the pillows had mysteriously teleported so it sat between her feet. Her pale freckled face was scrunched up in what looked like pain. Not physical pain but mental, something Lapis could understand. The blue haired girl watched her for a little longer, wondering what was going on in her head. Should she wake her up? If she did, the smaller girl would probably get mad. But if she didn't she'd have to watch her suffer.

Settling back down so her cheek was pressed against her pillow, Lapis waited for a sign, listening to the shuffles and small noises coming from her sleeping friend. Maybe she'd wake up on her own. As the thought came to Lapis, a wave of reassurance swept over her, calming her nerves. If she woke the blonde, what would she even go comfort her? They'd kissed in the rain mere hours ago though she wasn't sure if Peridot had meant it or not. Or if she'd been the one to kiss first. It had been a blur from the time they had locked lips. From then on it had been awkward. Too awkward.

- - -

Peridot woke up to bright lights and a strange metallic noise coming from the floor. As her eyes adjusted to the light they widened in sudden realisation as to where she actually was. If she tilted her head to the left, she could see the wooden doors and whitewashed walls as she sped by them on her bed. An oxygen mask was strapped to her face, making it hard to breathe and when she moved her arms, she couldn't go too far. They were covered in little tubes filled with strange coloured liquid.

The small girl tried to talk, to ask the person behind her where she was and what had happened, but all she could muster was a small groaning noise. Apparently, though muffled by the plastic mask, the supposed doctor heard her and pulled into a room. The bed was backed into a corner next to window with the blinds drawn. By now the light was starting to hurt the blondes eyes as she didn't have her glasses on and her eyes were already pretty messed up. She tried to motion to the doctor by jerking her head towards the switch, positioned beside the door as most switches are, but couldn't seem to get the message across.