Chapter 21

Peridot blinked tiredly, wrapping her hand around the door handle. Sliding her key into the door and turning it, she finally stepped inside. She ran a hand through her hair and dropped her bags on the carpeted floor, not caring if the contents spilled out if the slightly opened backpack. Peridot was too tired and her leg had started to ache once again.

"Phantom pain" she grunted, rubbing her thigh as she thudded up the stairs, opening the door with her foot and sitting at the foot of her bed.

She took off the prosthetic, rubbing the charred flesh that made up her leg. The pain eventually subsided but didn't leave. Standing up once again, she set the prosthetic down carefully on the floor beside her bed and picked her way towards the bathroom. She searched through multiple drawers placed around the room and finally found the right painkillers. Dropping two into her palm and grabbing a glass of water, she took the pills and went back to her room.

Sighing, she lay back on her bed and waited for the painkillers to kick in, getting out her phone and checking over her social medias. She stopped on tumblr, scrolling through her notifications and then her feed. It was a good way to spend the night, no homework, no stress. Her mother was out as usual so she was home alone. Lapis had gone home telling her that she was busy so there was no use texting her.

Back at school she had gone to Rose when the small drama group departed and everything seemed to be okay. Just a couple of bruises and her nose had moved to the side when Jasper had right hooked her but was soon put back into place. Peridot shuddered at the memory. She'd definitely have to avoid Jasper the best she could. She'd been bullying her for as long as she could remember, Peridot was starting to think that the fact that they used to he friends was just her dumb imagination. But it wasn't. The truth was a lot worse than that.

Deciding not to eat, she wasn't hungry anyways, Peridot slipped into her bed, pulling the covers over her head to block out any light. Soon enough, she had drifted off.

- - -

"Jasper, wait!" The small blonde nine-year-old rushed after the taller girl, reaching out a tiny hand to rest on her shoulder.

Jasper spun around, nostrils flaring, a sharp toothed grin flashed on her face. She pushed the smaller off, making her trip and fall.

"What?"

Jasper was popular. Probably the most popular girl in her school let alone class and the scariest too. But pushing all that aside, the two had been very close friends since they started the school. Helping each other with homework and other small problems and repaying the other with food and candy. It was a good system, one Peridot had hoped would last until they both graduated from highschool. But, of course, it was too good to be true. As Jasper was so popular, she would usually keep the tiny nerd from getting bullied, scaring them off with her intimidating size and strength. Peridot was very small for her age and Jasper was her complete opposite. She acted like a bodyguard in a way and it made the blonde feel much more secure knowing at least one person would protect her.